Wednesday, April 16, 2014

The Getty Villa & Gladstone's :)

Last Friday I had the day off and since it was a beautiful sunny afternoon I thought a day trip to The Getty Villa in Malibu was the perfect thing to do!  Since one of my resolutions was to try new Happy Hour's and Restuarants I looked up places in the area that would have the Yankee's Game on as a surprise for Neil after our visit to the museum.
Perfect day in Malibu :)

We got to The Getty Villa just before 3 pm and made our way through the museum starting at the classical outdoor theater where they have events on a regular basis.  The last time I was here was with my Mom years ago so it was nice to re-visit it.  They have gardens and fountains, and the Villa was modeled after a first-century Roman home.  You can see the Pacific Ocean from different areas and one of my favorite views is from the 2nd floor overlooking the long reflecting pool, statues, and assorted vegetation of flowers, shrubs, and herbs, with the ocean in the background.  

As we made our way into the museum we started with the Greek and Roman collections; there were paintings, busts, ceramics, coins, jewelry, kitchen and tableware, weaponry, armor, and tons of other antiquities (over 44,000 to be exact).  My favorite part is reading and learning about the Gods & Goddesses, and the differences between the Greek & Roman terminology.  I always loved learning about this kind of History in school.  I can't believe how well-kept the pieces of art are and that some of them are from almost 8,000 years ago!

We did have to rush a little to make it through the whole museum and probably could have used another half hour just to take our time through the final exhibits.  Another cool exhibit was Heaven and Earth: Art of Byzantium from Greek Collections.  We got to see all this art with Jesus as the subject and different pieces from The Bible.  This was definitely something my Mom really would have enjoyed; the history and age of it was just amazing.
Neil & I in front of the reflecting pool at The Getty Villa
On our way out we stopped at the Gift Shop and Neil picked me up a book about the Greek and Roman, Gods and Goddesses.  I'm so excited to find out all the details and information about them and their families so I can go back and read The Odyssey and The Illiad for fun without the deadline of a college theatrical history assignment.  Plus, I'll be able to cross-reference; I'm a total nerd for this stuff :)
Blackberry Margarita at Gladstone's!

Neil and I headed over to Gladstone's and they put on the Yankee game for us and we could also watch the Basketball game too.  We had plenty of time for Happy Hour and were able to enjoy an incredible Vegetable Flatbread, some Calimari, and also Tuna Tartar.  All the food we had was awesome, but the pizza was probably my favorite.  Plus, those three appetizers were able to fill us up for the evening.  We had Blackberry Margarita's that were refreshing and delicious and after the game was over (unfortunately the Yankee's lost, and in our basketball news Indiana won so the Bulls won't be playing Miami which would have been a more favorable match-up), we were finally able to catch the sunset in Malibu after trying to for years!  It was a new Happy Hour spot for me and I would definitely go back.

This was the perfect way to spend a Friday afternoon here in LA.  It was nice to take in some culture and learn something new as well as get to enjoy a beach day in Malibu with some great food and a beautiful Los Angeles sunset.  I look forward to more days like this!

No comments:

Post a Comment