Sunday, April 12, 2015

Lent, Easter, and Community

Last weekend was Easter and those 40 days of Lent went by fairly quickly!  Easter is a time for sacrifice, reflection, and positivity.  And of course, celebration, which I certainly did!  You can read more about that in my next blog ;)

At your service :)
This year I gave up the usual, candy, soda, and fast food, but new this Lent I also gave up swearing.  Overall, I did a really good job, no soda at all, and candy only once on accident at Yogurtland (it was a topping and I totally forgot), and no fast food, not even Subway!  Now, swearing on the other hand, was far more difficult.  I don't swear all the time, but there are times when you're feeling passionate, or frustrated, or even excited, and one or two happen to pop out.  In actuality, I really like some swear words, and missed using them during the 47 days of Lent.  And there were times where I swore on accident, and other times, I did on purpose, and those 30 swear words are hours I will be putting towards community service and charity.  I'm really happy to be doing some good from it all!  The point of giving up swearing was to force myself to find better and more intelligent words to use.  I've been doing my best to continue to not swear this past week and decided that I'll be more aware of when I'm swearing and contain myself to those highly anticipated moments where it's the right time and place.

Before Lent had started I was doing some Community Service for Habitat For Humanity, working at one of their Re-Stores in Torrance.  It was really fun to help people pick out items for their homes and help them decide what would work in the space they told me about.  I also got to price items, clean up around the store, and do a little home decorating as well to make sure the displays looked awesome.  I'll be happy to be back and working with some of the same people over at the Re-Store and also look forward to working on building a home when there's one a little closer to where I live.  

It's such a great feeling to help others, and to be there because I choose to be, it makes it all the more worthwhile :)

No comments:

Post a Comment