Friday, October 9, 2015

David Cook at The Troubadour

I can tell you exactly where I was when I first heard David Cook sing.  I was in Newport Beach doing a photo shoot and my friend JB lived down there so we had just gone out to grab Dinner and catch up before I headed back to LA.  We walked into his place and his roommate had American Idol on and I heard this incredible voice coming from the TV and I had them rewind and play it again.  David Cook was singing 'Hello' and I was hooked!  I watched the rest of the season just for him because I knew he should win.  His original takes on all these songs was so innovative and I knew he had a long career ahead of him.  Of course, he did win, has had multiple albums released and I saw that he was playing a show at The Troubadour this past Sunday so I immediately bought tickets to see him play.

David Cook at The Troubadour in West Hollywood
Rachel had heard of David Cook but didn't really know his music so I was hoping she would enjoy it as much as I knew that I would!  We had a fabulous Happy Hour at Toscanova beforehand and then made our way to The Troubadour.  We found FREE parking across the street and as we walked up to the venue I turned to Rachel and said, 'we're going to meet David Cook tonight, I just know it.'

I had never been to The Troubadour before but Rachel had seen a show so she knew it was a smaller and more intimate venue.  I realized when we walked in how close we would actually be to him while he was singing and was like a giddy little girl opening my first Christmas present years ago.  We saw the opener, Andrew Ripp, performing a couple songs including one dedicated to his wife, who was all the way in Minnesota and then it was time for David's set.  We made our way closer to the stage, just about 10 feet from the microphone that was set up and waited for David to take the stage.

Personalized autographed copies of 'Digital Vein'
At about 9 pm, David walked to the stage to the screams of lots of women and also a few men.  Not only is he talented but as he talked in-between songs to pump the crowd up, he shared cute stories, engaged the audience, and made all of us laugh.  He just released his new album 'Digital Vein' and I had listened to a bunch of his music before the show so I could re-familiarize myself with it.  He opened with 'Heartbeat' which is the opening song on the album and one of my favorites.  By the time he got to 'Broken Windows' and 'Wait For Me' I knew I needed to get the album.  Next up was one of my favorites, 'Declaration,' and another off his new album,' Laying Me Low' which I absolutely loved.  I asked Rachel what she thought and could see she was enjoying it just as much as I was...success!  She recognized 'Come Back To Me' right away and I was so glad that he played his cover of Chris Isaak's, 'Wicked Game,' because it was beautiful.  'Kiss & Tell' was another upbeat and fun song and at some point during the beginning of the set, he threw one of his picks at us and Rachel scooped it up and gave it to me!  YAY!  He had to play his new single 'Criminals' which I really liked as well as 'Light On,' which was his first major hit after American Idol.  David started acapella and then just as the song kicked in, he played his guitar, and then the entire band joined in.  Not only is he a talented singer but also a skilled guitarist.  He played for almost 90 minutes and it went by so quickly I wanted to hear more!

Rachel and I with David after the show...dream come true!!
After the show I asked one of the security guys if we could wait for David since I had the pick and was hoping he would sign that or a CD that I had brought with me and he said if we waited out back that would be fine.  We walked behind the venue and were shortly joined by two other people and waited there for about an hour before we saw David come out of nowhere and he politely asked us if we could wait just a little bit longer but that he would be out soon.  I saw why when he was helping his entire crew break down the stage and pack all of their equipment up.  During that hour we actually talked to the opener, Andrew Ripp for a little bit, got a picture with him, and saw that he was heading out to a party with Andy Grammar (although we didn't figure out it was him until later).  Luckily, we only had to wait another half hour and David came right up to us and we got our chance.  Another security guy came out and had given Rachel the new album and I had bought one since I was hoping David would sign it, and sure enough he did, even asking how to spell my name.  We chatted for a little bit, as he was left-handed (like me) and I complimented him on his acapella version of 'Light On' as he replied that he had laryngitis but was appreciative of the comment.  There was no laryngitis to be seen or heard from him as he sounded like perfection!  We then got hugs and pictures and as we walked back through the alley towards my car I collapsed on the ground in utter disbelief that all these events just really happened!  I was elated to get to meet my favorite American Idol!

Needless to say, I've been listening to the new album non-stop and have found some more new songs that I love!  I would definitely see him again and think he's a great performer that anyone who loves rock and roll should absolutely check out :)

4 comments:

  1. Glad you got to meet David. I was at that show too. Awesome show!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such a great show! I can't believe he was sick, you would never have been able to tell. Such a talented guy :)

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing your impressions of David Cook. You have obviously become "Cookified" like the rest of us, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have...it took way too long for me to see him Live and I can't wait till he's back in LA again!

      Delete