Sunday, July 22, 2012

Rock & Roll Karaoke

On top of an already busy week with the Trade Show last week and Dodger Game on Monday night too, I had Karaoke on both Wednesday and Friday!  Those who know me, know I love to be busy, because I thrive on having things planned and organized, and last week was that kind of week for me.

After a 9 hour shift at the Medical Trade Show on Wednesday, I had Karaoke that night.  We got started right away because there was a Birthday Party there.  I'm not going to lie, I was a little cranky after a long day but Karaoke usually cheers me up and knowing I would have some friends come to visit me was sunshine on a busy busy day.  I opened the night with a little Kim Wilde, 'Keep Me Hanging On,' getting some cheers from the crowd and getting into the Birthday Party peeps right away!  There was a lot of rock and roll, some Metallica, Bon Jovi, Bowie, etc.  Khad came in to visit me and it's always nice to have a friend there as a buffer between the crowd and me and when it's that busy, he can help me out with announcing songs or getting requests.  It's such a huge help, so thanks Khad :)  I was losing my voice throughout the night because of talking the past 2 days at the Trade Show so I only sang one more song for the night which was my new song, 'Foolish Games' by Jewel.  I was definitely feeling the song and I think the crowd liked my emotion and I was just happy I made it through it with no tears.  Khad closed out the night with Mulan's 'I'll Make A Man Out Of You,' which is always a crowd favorite, and I think Amy behind the bar now knows that song by heart!

Marty and I had a mini-Happy Hour at Kay & Dave's in Culver City on Friday and kept it low-key so I was right on time to Host Karaoke that night.  It was nearly empty when I walked into the bar but by 9:30 pm we got the night started with a decent rotation.  Kayt, one of the original Karaoke Hosts told me she was in full mode for an 80's rock kind of night and I couldn't agree with her more.  I had my new song planned from Wednesday and was quite excited to do it.  It ended up being a really busy night at Karaoke and while there was no Double Entendre performance, there was a lot of fun going on.  One of the Abbott employee's from the Trade Show actually came in with his Dad and both of them sang really well!  He said that he used to go to Dive Bars in Wisconsin but that we had the largest selection of songs and very obscure stuff as well.  His Dad sang 'Runaround Sue' which is one of my favorite songs and it was an awesome performance!  Kayt flew through the air while one of her friends sang, 'Wind Beneath My Wings,' and I tried to keep the rock & roll vibe going by singing Toto's 'Hold The Line.'  I closed the night out with 'Bringing on the Heartbreak' by Def Leppard.  It was such a fun song to sing and perfectly in my range, so I will for sure sing more songs by one of my favorite 80's band!

I've been doing doubles of Karaoke the past few weeks so I'll be glad to just be working Wednesday next week and have a mini-break.  It reinvigorates me and gets me excited about seeing everyone and having fun when I'm working the next double :)

No comments:

Post a Comment