Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Sci-Fi Bartender

On Sunday I was Bartending at Irish Times and thankfully, there was no craziness to start the day; just a gorgeous day outside, and I had the bar ready by noon to open!

When I was working on Thursday, C*, came in to see if his film crew could use the bar to film a TV Pilot at the Bar that they were shopping to Network.  I said I was going to be working on Sunday and that it was ok with me, but they would have to get clearance from James, the Owner.  On Sunday, James came in and told me they would be there around 12:30 pm to set up and film for a few hours, they would be buying drinks, and hopefully food, and be done around 4 or 5 pm.  I was excited!

At 12:30 pm, lights were coming in, a Red Camera was getting set up, crew was working hard, and actors were hanging out until they had to take their places on our set.  C* was awesome, and had asked me on Thursday if I wouldn't mind being in some of the scenes, and I told him, of course, I would want to!

The Pilot they were filming was a Western set in Space, with a Sci-Fi feel.  This crew has been working together for years, and you could tell because of the camaraderie, and how quickly they worked.  Trust me, the beer and cocktails were flowing for everyone on C's* tab, and everyone was in a great mood.  I walked through for a couple of scenes, picking up glassware or clearing tables, and then got some face time for a scene where I was hanging out with my regulars, and this alarm goes off, and while we don't make a big deal right away, we figure out it's pretty serious, and everyone exits the bar.  They did close-up shots of a few people, so I was glad that I was one of them!

When the filming was done, most of the crew and a couple cast members stayed to have some lunch, and because the bar was open all day as well, I was kept pretty busy.  We had a couple groups of people come in throughout the day and everyone was super awesome about the filming going on around them.  C* was so thankful and appreciative for my help, but I was happy they were in there to keep me busy and give me something to do, so it wasn't a problem for me at all!  I hope that their Pilot gets picked up and perhaps we can all work together in the future!

The rest of the afternoon the bar ended up getting pretty busy so it was a great day to be working!  Plus, the Yankee's were winning, and I impressed a group of guys with my knowledge of what had happened the first couple innings of the game along with knowing the starting line-up.

Even though it's an 8 hour day behind the bar, and that's a normal work-day for most, being behind a bar that long is like 2 normal shifts.  But one of the things I love is that I'm done by 7:30 pm at the latest, and I can go home while it's still light outside.  Every time I've worked I've gone for a walk or just enjoyed the day.  The sun is setting, people are in the park, it's cooled down a little, and I can listen to music, or catch up with family and friends.  It's always a great way to end a shift at the bar :)

No comments:

Post a Comment