Thursday, November 8, 2012

Hitting the high notes...

I didn't realize how much Halloween really knocks people out...last weekend at Bar Lubitsch was slower than normal after Halloween being on Wednesday, and this Wednesday at Karaoke, a week later, it was still affecting business.  Lucky, for my friends at Gabe's, we didn't let that affect our night and had a great Karaoke evening :)

Even though we didn't get Karaoke started until around 10:30 because we didn't have enough people to complete a rotation, everyone was happy to sing a bunch in the short rotation we did have.  My first song of the night was Eric Carmen's 'Hungry Eyes' and I played around with the key a little bit, and raised it, which made it more feminine and in a more comfortable register for my voice.  Jamie's first song was Adele's cover of 'To Make You Feel My Love' and it was absolutely beautiful.  CC and Bob were back after a little hiatus from Gabe's, and they were singing a couple Beatles songs, CC singing 'A Day in the Life' and Bob singing 'Come Together.'  He had a little theme going and did The Youngbloods, after singing 'Get Together.'  Art even joined the challenge of singing new songs every week and tried something new and impressed us all.

Neil showed up after our second round of songs and we all did new songs that rotation.  I opened with 'Beautiful Disaster' by Kelly Clarkson, and even though the version of the song was a little hokey, I was up for the challenge and happy with my performance (I also did 'Anytime' by Kelly Clarkson later).  Jamie also did a Kelly Clarkson song, singing 'Since You Been Gone' and she killed it yet again.  Girl was on a roll last night ;)  Neil did a couple new songs, and his first of the night was N'Sync's 'This I Promise You' hitting all of Justin's high notes and harmonies.  He surprised us all with his high notes and great performance.  CC did 'Unwritten' by Natasha Bedingfield while Bob followed up with an Eagles tune.  We brought the crowd back up with some fun dance songs, while I brought Pop into Gabe's singing Mandy Moore's first hit, 'Candy' Jamie did Bonnie Tyler's 'Holding Out For a Hero' while I did her back-up dancing.  She was a Bonnie streak, singing Bonnie Raitt's 'I Can't Make You Love Me' raising it 5 keys...very impressive!  Neil did a couple songs from Third Eye Blind and The Calling which I'd heard years ago, but had forgotten about, and was happy to bring them back to 2012!  

We kept Karaoke going until just after 1 am with Jamie, Neil, and I all taking one more turn before the night was over.  Jamie did 'Summertime' from "Porgy & Bess" while Neil got his groove on singing 'Sensitivity' by Ralph Tresvant.  Look it up, you'll know it.  And by popular demand I closed out the night with 'Baby Love' and I can't remember the last time I sang it and was happy to oblige!

Even though it was a slower night we all had fun, we all hit our high notes, and Halloween wasn't going to stop us from showing up!

No comments:

Post a Comment