Saturday, December 15, 2012

Food Babies!!

Honestly, that is the only way to describe how Jamie, Spark, Venk, and I were feeling after having Dinner at Manhattan Beach Post earlier this week!  We all left so satisfied and so full, I could barely walk to the car, and I think all of us felt like we had Food Babies for the next 24 hours because we tried over half of the menu!

When we got seated in the Dining room we started off with cocktails and each of us ordered something different, Venk got the Mezcal Tequila drink, while Spark got a Manhattan, and Jamie got a drink with Scotch and Apple in it, that was my favorite.  I ordered a Gin, Kiwi, and Elderflower drink because I'm currently on a Gin kick and that was so light and refreshing but for the rustic meal we were having I think the Scotch drink would have been more appropriate, for me anyway.  I think all of us were in agreement that it was our favorite!  We had the same waitress, Janet, from the last time Jamie and I had Brunch at Manhattan Beach Post and she's such a wonderful server, friendly, suggestive, attentive, and still gives you the space you need to finish an incredible meal :)
Dinner at Manhattan Beach Post
Then the food started and I don't think it ever ended!  I saw Cheddar Bacon Biscuits in my future and sure enough, there they were in all their glory served with that Maple Butter.  My only bit of sadness (and it was tiny) was that they weren't served hot.  We also got the Soft Pretzel that was served with a Horseradish Mustard and it was the best Soft Pretzel I have ever had and the Mustard had the perfect amount of kick and added a little flair to the delicious Pretzel!  After our Carb Course it was time for Meats, Mustards, and Cheeses.  There was this fresh Ricotta Cheese and all these Meats, Proscuitto, Salami, and three fresh Mustards: one was Stout, another was Red Wine, and the last was a Pink Peppercorn, and I really liked them with a little cheese, Meat, and bread.  Another favorite off the Charcuterie board was the Pickled Vegetables and Pickled Grapes which were an interesting and pleasant surprise!

Details of The Charcuterie...yum!
Cous Cous and Brussel Sprouts
We had planned that we would get three items in each section of the menu, so 3 appetizers, 3 vegetables, and 3 entrees.  By now, we were just getting started and then the Brussel Sprouts, Green Beans with Crispy Pork, and Cous Cous with Pomegranite were dropped at the table.  Freddy Smalls currently holds my heart with their preparation of Brussel Sprouts, fried and served with Goat Cheese and have an Apple Cider glaze.  They are the perfect savory but sweet treat!  And they are still my favorite after trying the Brussel Sprouts at MB Post but I like anything that can be made sweeter and these had a Cheese and more savory flavor than the ones at Freddy Smalls.  The Green Beans were incredible and I found myself polishing off those and the Cous Cous because I didn't want anything to go to waste!  The Cous Cous was probably my favorite of this section of the meal because it was so light; it came with Feta Cheese, Grapefruit, Yogurt, Mint, and the Pomegranite seeds and was light and tasty.  We also ordered the Shrimp Ceviche which had fresh Jalepeno and certainly had that great kick of flavor and was also served with home-made Shrimp Chips!

Pork Jowl
Fresh Shrimp Ceviche
By this point we were all so full we decided on one Fish entree and one Meat entree.  We ordered the Scallops and perhaps it was just that I was so full they weren't my favorite part of Dinner and I've been spoiled with the Raw Bar at Water Grill that those were one of the few things that didn't get finished.  We also ordered the Lamb Belly and I was nervous because I didn't want to be eating a Baby Lamb, poor Lamby, since I have a tough time thinking about it (similar to the way I feel about Veal) that I was worried about trying it.  I know, I know, I eat Steak, Chicken, Pork, etc and there's no need to get into things but it's a different thought process when I'm thinking about eating a little one.  Jamie assured me it was a full-grown Adult Lamb so I did try it, even though it looked like Duck meat when it came to the table, and that is also not my cup of tea.  We all agreed it was a little salty and for me, it just wasn't my thing but it doesn't mean I wouldn't try it again either.  Then the Chef dropped off a couple things for us and I don't know how we were even going to fit through the door on the way out after all we had eaten!  He brought the Pork Jowl and the Steak with a Chimichurri Sauce and Broccolini.  The Steak was awesome, it was tender, perfectly cooked, and I loved the Broccolini with it.  I also liked the Pork Jowl because it had a crispy edge but by this time I could barely fit anymore food in my belly so I had to stop.  I still think I out-ate everyone ;)

We dined for over 2 hours and were ready for a little break so we had some French Press Coffee to help our stomachs settle and of course, there was no passing up dessert with this crew!  We got the Elvis Dessert that was Chocolate Pudding, Peanut Butter, and a Bacon Brittle (which of course I made room for) and it was so amazing!  I was definitely happy to end the meal that way.  Plus, the French Press Coffee, which I drank Espresso style was the best cup of Coffee I have ever had!  I may turn into a Coffee Snob because of this!

Thank goodness we didn't take an after picture because I'm not sure we would have been recognizable after all that food but what an incredible and exciting meal!  It's not something I could do even on a regular basis because I do like the simplicity of things but it was a very different style of food and I love experimenting because I've found some new favorites that I'll be drooling about until I get to try even more!

No comments:

Post a Comment