Friday, May 30, 2014

Playing Abu in 'Aladdin'

Last weekend 'Aladdin' opened at The Promenade Playhouse for two encore performances by our Creating Arts Company members.  I joined the cast that week as Abu, Aladdin's best friend and monkey.  I was excited for another different role in just three weeks and to challenge myself in a more active way with a lot of non-verbal action.

Our 'Aladdin' Cast and one of our biggest fans!
I went to my first rehearsal on Thursday and we did a sing-through of all the songs.  On Friday we ran through the show and got our costumes in order.  Then, on Saturday morning we had our tech rehearsal with full run-through, and then quickly ran over the music and a few scenes one last time before our 3 pm show!  As Abu I didn't have that many lines but I am with Aladdin in most of his scenes and do a lot of physical activity as well.  Most of my communication is non-verbal so I figured out a voice that would fit a monkey for my monkey chatter and got my hop on.

The show was an absolute blast!  We were so over-sold on Saturday that we couldn't even use the audience to stage entrances and exits because people were seated in them.  In fact, the kids were so far onto the stage at one point when I was exiting a little boy grabbed a hold of me and wouldn't let go.  On Sunday I felt even more into the character, bouncing around the stage even though my legs were so sore from doing that all day on Saturday.  It was really physical and the kids as well as the parents seemed to be enjoying my humor and fun with the character.  I would definitely play that role all over again!

We get the kids involved throughout the show but at the end of the show after we did curtain call we got the kids back on-stage to dance with us to 'Jai Ho' a traditional Indian song.  I was dancing with this little girl and she was just laughing the entire time so after the show she came and gave me the biggest hug.  Then her Dad thanked me because he got a beautiful picture of us dancing and wanted me to know how special it was to his family that I had danced with his daughter to such an important song in their culture.  It made my day.
Iago & Abu...we just get each other ;)
I honestly felt like I was playing the entire time.  It was just fun and easy.  This was totally different than anything I've played in the last few weeks with this theater company.  I don't think I've formulated that type of character in a long time and I felt like I brought it to life and made magic.  What we get to do is so important as we impact so many children's lives.  It's never work; it's just what I love to do :)

No comments:

Post a Comment