Tuesday, June 13, 2017

New York! Part 4.

Before we knew it, it was our last day in New York and we only had 24 hours to cram as much of Manhattan into that short time-frame.  There were so many things we didn't get to see, some of which I saw when I was 17 and on my high school choir trip, but more that we missed out on.  We filled that last day with as much as possible...though I wish we would have been able to check out a Yankee's game!  Next time!

Chris, Old Man Charlie Buckets and me
in Central Park :)
Sam had picked out a deli near Central Park that we stopped at on our way to meet my friend, Chris and his pup, Old Man Charlie Buckets, there that afternoon.  We met by MOMA (the Museum of Modern Art) and found a spot at the park to enjoy our sandwiches and Lunch.  Chris played music from the radio station he works for and we were able to catch up.  He goes by D.J. Baron and you can find the station right here: http://www.acpl.lib.in.us/home/using-the-library/start-here/access-fort-wayne/95-7-welt The gals all loved Old Man Charlie Buckets, and he loved our sandwiches!

After Lunch, Chris went on his way (so great to see him), and while Rachel and Giana went to the Zoo, Sam and I made our way back to Broadway so we could rush a show that evening.  I walked over to the theater 'Wicked' was at but the man at the ticket window said getting a lottery ticket would be very slim since it was so beautiful outside and a Friday, so my best ticket would be $100 and that would be at the back of the house up in the balcony.  I met back up with Sam and we decided we wanted to see Miss Saigon.  I can't figure out where I had heard the music prior, maybe Karaoke, but music is a huge selling point on seeing a show for me!  I picked up some gifts from one of the Tourist Shops and Sam and I also went into the M&M Place before heading back to the Hotel for Happy Hour before Dinner.

Central Park
We had Dinner plans near Broadway since Rachel and Giana were seeing Avenue Q and we had our Miss Saigon tickets.  We went to Ageha, a Sushi place that had a menu that rivaled Cheesecake Factory.  Thankfully it had pictures which made it much easier to go through since the names of things were totally different than your traditional sushi place. We all got fun cocktails and ordered food.  I got a Sashimi Platter, Rock Shrimp Tempura, and a Happy Mango Roll with Spicy Tuna.  It was so much food we actually took it with us and gave it to some people in need on the walk to the theater. 

Sashimi from Ageha
And now...Miss Saigon.  Our seats were in the aisle on the left side fairly close up and we got them at a great price, less than the balcony 'Wicked' tickets.  In all honestly, I prefer being in the balcony; I'd rather look down at the stage than crane to look up.  The show is lead by the Engineer, played by Jon Jon Briones and he was incredible.  He kept the energy of the show going the entire time and was so talented.  Gigi sang one of my favorite songs in the show, "Movie in my Mind," and I loved seeing her in the final scene.  As soon as Kim (Eva Noblezada) started singing, it was breath-taking.  She performed so effortlessly, and even though she's petite, her presence spoke volumes.  By the end of the show, her character has built so much and the anger and frustration is felt by everyone.  Alastair Brummer who portrayed Chris was another integral part to the show; he and Eva worked so well together, especially singing "Last Night of the World."  After hearing it, I can't wait to sing it at Karaoke.  The love was there the entire time, during "Sun & Moon" as well and you see him torn between Kim and his wife, Ellen (played by Katie Rose Clarke).   I was torn in my emotions with Ellen potentially being my favorite character.  "I Still Believe" sang by Kim and Ellen was my ultimate song in the whole show (I put all these songs on a playlist as soon as I got home).  The helicopter scene was definitely neat, and the secondary characters, Chris' boss, and the showgirls, and ensemble were all really incredible.  The choreography was very impressive and the lighting for the show was the best I've ever seen in any production.  Overall, I was glad to see the show and it brought all the emotions out!
After Miss Saigon with Sam
After our shows were over we all met up and decided to go to Latitude, a roof-top bar, where we climbed three flights of stairs to a quaint roof-top, greeted by a very handsome bartender, Charles.  Rachel wasn't a fan, probably because he was cocky as all get-out, but he did get us all shots before we left to head over to the Gansevoort Hotel, where bottle service was waiting for us.  It was quite a production at the Hotel but we danced and enjoyed a couple cocktails and the awesome go-go dancers.  Before it was too late we wanted to hit up one more bar, so we walked over to Churchill Tavern to get a beer before heading back to the Hotel.  Our new friend, Tony, regaled us on Manhattan activities and walked us back to the Hotel but not before getting a Street Dog (Rach and I needed to have one before we left New York) at 4 am!  It was delicious and the perfect close to the evening.
The Gansevoort Hotel in Manhattan!
Bye Bye New York
And that's how we closed out our trip to New York.  A wild night on the town, culture and talent, great food, beautiful scenery and good friends, old and new.  After a terrific four days there it was really hard to say goodbye.  I was bummed to be leaving the next morning but we took advantage of our Continental Breakfast included in our hotel stay and then packed our suitcases before heading to JFK and Giana back to the Upper West Side.  The best part of the flight to LA was my discovery of 'Jane the Virgin' and Justin Baldoni!  Whew.  Look him up!  It's a good thing he's married ;)  The worst part about the flight back was realizing as soon as I stepped into LAX that I felt like something was missing.  I realized it was the same feeling I had whenever I left Winona, Minnesota (where I went to College) or when I'd head back to LA after being back in Wisconsin.  These places felt like home and Manhattan had that same effect on me.  I have no idea what that means, I only wish I could be bi-coastal and live on the West Coast and have a place near Manhattan, at some point in my life, but for now, I'll stick with California...or Arizona, or Texas (Dallas or Austin) or Nashville, Tennessee...  I haven't settled on a place just let, but don't worry, I'll let you know.  The important thing to remember is what a wonderful trip to New York that we had and I can't wait to go back as soon as possible <3

No comments:

Post a Comment