Wednesday, August 21, 2013

'Women Are Crazy Because Men Are A**holes'

I love seeing theater and while it's not as common here in LA as it is in New York, and you have to pick and choose a little more because it's hard to find good theater, I was really excited when Nicole and Courtney (my co-workers from Bar Lubitsch) were cast in a play.  The time came when the show was open and lucky for me, I found a performance on a Sunday, so I would get a chance to see the ladies perform together!

'Women Are Crazy Because Men Are Assholes' was written and directed by Brad Gottfred and being performed at La Macha Theater in West Hollywood.  Neil came to see the play with me, and we met Ashley (another co-worker from Lubitsch) and her boyfriend, Jake, at the Theater and there was a little snack bar set up, along with beer and wine, so we got some drinks and made our way to our seats.

Right away, the play caught your attention, and immediately Courtney was throwing a crazy tantrum and I had to laugh out loud.  I've known Nicole for nearly a year and Courtney for about 8 months and while I have never seen her throw a tantrum, it was so realistic that I could believe she would really feel this angry about a guy doing something horrible, and I'd be pretty scared of her.  Throughout the whole play, she was perfectly on point, living in the moment, so natural, bubbly, honest and interesting.  Both Courtney and Nicole impressed me with their performances including an intense scene that was absolutely hilarious and candid.  You really understood where Nicole was coming from, from beginning to end; you went through all the emotions with her, and it never seemed forced, just organic and real.  They both brought the laughs and empathy, and I'm happy to say all the female actresses were very strong. 

Overall, I preferred the women's performances to the men, although there were a few guys that were stand-outs and had fun roles to play that made these women act crazy.  I loved the story they were telling and the girl that started it all, pointing out apples and oranges, and bringing everything together.  There were two guys that were slightly distracting, one that only had two levels, he pushed the anger but there wasn't a build to get there, and another that was pushing his feelings so hard, he was more of a caricature than someone you wanted to side with.  In any case, the play as a whole was incredible and I would go and see it again in a heartbeat.  They do have two casts but I loved how well each character played their role that I would want to see them do awesome show again!
At Courtney & Nicole's play! (Courtney, me, Nicole, and Ashley)
After the play was over, the whole cast came out and we got to talk to Nicole and Courtney and congratulate them on amazing performances.  I was excited to talk to the Director, Brad, for a little bit as well, and see where the play had come from, and was even happier to hear they're trying to get it an Off-Broadway venue soon.  He's from the Midwest, so he instantly won cool points in my book, and he's got more projects in the works!

To find out more about the show here's a link to their Facebook Page:

The show has been extended through September so I definitely suggest getting tickets and checking out some great theater in LA, and maybe even getting a better understanding of why 'Women Are Crazy Because Men Are Assholes.'

No comments:

Post a Comment