Sunday, March 23, 2014

Karaoke with Friends!

Karaoke the past couple weeks has been pretty fun and we've been getting a really good crowd of singers.  We took a couple weeks off from the theme night but there's always a round of songs from musicals or a super-set of artists to get people excited.  And although this past week's Karaoke, just a couple days after St. Patrick's Day, could have been slow, we had a big group and lots of fun!

I'll start with two weeks ago and a slow start to the night brought out my Amy Winehouse, 'Back to Black.'  It's been a long time since I sang 'The Sign' by Ace Of Base to which I performed in a middle school talent contest with a girlfriend almost 20 years ago.  I still remember part of the routine and the swimsuits/leotards we wore for our performance.  LOL!  My new song was 'Almost Paradise' by Mike Reno & Ann Wilson.  It was new for both Marcus and I, and a fun little challenge.  I can't remember the last time I heard it so that made it exciting to try.  Since Carolyn had come in to sing we did an R&B round so I did Destiny's Child, 'Say My Name,' and next up for me was Roxette's 'Listen To Your Heart.'  I decided to close out the night with 'Again' by Janet Jackson.  Carolyn and I had both auditioned for "American Idol" years ago so we sang our audition songs, and that was another song I hadn't sang in years.  I do love that song :)

This past week it was empty when I walked into Gabe's and Aimee had considered calling Karaoke off.  Luckily, a couple people started off the night and then a big crew of people came in and were ready to sing.  We had a long rotation of singers but everyone was really good.  I had started with 'Dreams' by Fleetwood Mac since I was just getting over a cold and was trying to find some songs that were in a lower range.  It was jazz next with Tracy Chapman's 'Give Me One Reason' which I love to sing.  It was musicals and duets after that so 'Light My Candle' was my next song as we did some good songs from Rent.  Then it was my new song of the night and Neil was filming his final scenes for his 'Plaid Flannel' music video.  Everyone had on flannel shirts and danced around while I rapped with the help of McCracken and Spark (surprising that I knew most of the rap) and sang that catchy female part.  We all slowed it down for our next round so I did 'Here Without You' by 3 Doors Down and my final song of the night was 'Hold On' by Wilson Phillips with Jamie singing along with me!

I love when friends come in to sing and it had been so long since the normal crew was singing at Gabe's.  I definitely think the next theme night needs costumes since it's almost half-way to Halloween!  Preparations and ideas are welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment