Friday, September 4, 2015

August Karaoke

It was a really busy month of Karaoke at Gabe's in August!  I had lots of visitors from out of town, and friends who have been away for a few weeks, so it was nice to see everyone, hear their voices, and get to spend time with them!

Eric Clapton "Layla"
Roxette "The Look"
Jewel "Don't"
30 Seconds to Mars "The Kill"
Ozzy Osbourne & Lita Ford "If I Close My Eyes Forever"

Gnarles Barkley "Crazy"
Jason Mraz & Colbie Callait "Lucky"
Celine Dion "Because You Loved Me"
Les Miserables "I Dreamed A Dream"
Madonna "Like A Prayer"

The Carpenters "Superstar"
LeAnn Rimes "Right Kind Of Wrong"
En Vogue "Don't Let Go"
Heart "Secret"
Alannah Myles "Black Velvet"
Bryan Adams "Everything I Do, I Do It For You"

Carrie Underwood "Before He Cheats"
No Doubt "Sunday Morning"
Savage Garden "I Want You"
Dolly Parton "Jolene"

Since my friend, Paul, was in town from Minnesota that first Wednesday in August, it was a night of rock music and big voices, so I opened with "Layla" and then had to show my softer side with "Don't" by Jewel.  My new song of the night was 30 Seconds to Mars "The Kill" which went surprisingly well since I fully committed to it and I also had a very supportive audience!  Paul and I had sang "If I Close My Eyes Forever" at Boardwalk 11 the last time he was in town but it was new for me at Gabe's and I was a little more prepared this time around.  It was great to see him, along with McCracken, who was in LA for a minute, all the way from North Carolina!  I opened the second week with my new song of the night, "Crazy" by Gnarles Barkley, another choice I was very happy with, since it worked for my range.  There was even a 'Les Miserables' super-set with Rachel and Adam!  Since Jamie and I were going to see Heart at the Hollywood Bowl that next weekend, my new song of the night was "Secret."  It's one of my favorite Heart songs!  I also sang some songs that night I hadn't sang in a really long time, 'Superstar,' 'Don't Let Go,' and 'Black Velvet.'  We were incredibly busy the last Wednesday in August so I opened with some country, got the 90's pop/punk going, went straight pop with some fast talking for my new song, Savage Garden's "I Want You."  You definitely know it!  Then back to country to close out the night.
Lovelies with me at Gabe's for Karaoke :)
It was a really fun month of Karaoke and I got to add some music to my History and bring in a lot of new people to Karaoke!  Also, for the past month at Karaoke, I took a little break from drinking and have noticed a major change in my voice.  It's such an obvious thing, but in practicing it, I actually noticed how much easier it is to hit higher notes, and how my tone is clearer.  I love having a glass of wine at Dinner or while my girlfriends and I are watching 'The Bachelorette' so I don't want to stop doing that forever, but it's been nice to majorly cut down the drinking, and entirely during Karaoke.  Although, I'm sure the Chardonnay, Sambuca, and Gin really miss me ;)

School's back in session now that it's September so that means we'll be getting some newbies into Gabe's, and we've got shows opening for CAC Studios, so we'll be protecting our voices a little bit more.  That doesn't mean the fun stops though, so join us every Wednesday for exciting Karaoke and a grand time!

No comments:

Post a Comment