Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Babymakers & Beer 101

My day yesterday started out so creatively with an Audition for 'Romeo & Juliet,' and it really continued throughout the day!

That afternoon, my friend, Jonathan, and I had plans to grab coffee, but when Neil invited me to a Press Screening of 'Babymakers,' a romantic comedy, it was hard to turn down a free movie.  Jonathan said it sounded like fun, so off we went to the Landmark Theater to see a new movie before it came out to audiences.  There was no one really recognizable in the cast, except a few people including Olivia Munn.  I thought the concept of the movie was interesting and new, a couple who can't have a baby, and the husband tries to track down a sperm sample he gave years ago, so his wife and him can conceive their own baby naturally.  Craziness obviously ensues.  Overall, the cast was really diverse and there were some funny parts, but it wasn't a movie I would pay to see and I probably never would have rented it, and only watched it if it was on TV sometime.  I'm not really a fan of Olivia Munn, but was hoping this movie would change my opinion, and other than the fact that the costumer put her in very girly but sexy clothes, and that she was slightly funny, I'm still kind of meh about her.  The main actor was pretty good though, and I've seen him in stuff before.

After the movie, I headed over to Freddy Smalls to take a Beer Tasting class that Carolyn had told me about.  I wasn't going to try all the beers, because I was driving, but I was down to learn some information about where beer originated, how it's made, and other fun facts.  The class was actually interesting and very beneficial to me as a Bartender, not to mention, I may have found a new beer I like (that I don't have to put Sprite or OJ in)!  There were only a couple of us there, but we all had fun.  Apparently, they will be doing these classes every week, with a different topic, but re-visting the topic the following month with more information.  Next week is Whiskey so I'm pretty sure I'm going to avoid that one ;)

I also had an Audition this past Saturday for NoHo Idol.  The show will be set up like American Idol, but in The Valley.  For most of my singing auditions you only get to sing about a minute of the song before they cut you off so I prepared 'Baby Love' and 'Redneck Woman' so I would have two totally different songs if they wanted to hear both.  I got to the Audition and it was at a bar with a stage, and there were a couple people waiting as they finished getting everything set up.  Each singer was allowed to do the whole song, so I got nervous because I didn't know if I would remember all the words to my songs, so lucky for me, he just said to perform whichever song I wanted and to cut myself off when I was done.  I got up on stage, the mic was hot, and so I sang 'Baby Love.'  I felt very confident and comfortable and I was really glad I had sang at Universal Bar & Grill the previous night for Neil's Show because it took some of my nerves away!  They asked me to sing 'Redneck Woman' as well, and I was happy to show them something different from my first song choice.  When I finished, one of the gentleman told me I had a beautiful voice which is always a nice compliment coming from someone in the industry :) 

To see some of the videos from Neil's show this weekend, you can see them at his YouTube page which is here Neil's Music.
This is Neil and I's performance of U2's hit, 'With or Without You.'  I loved the changes we made to it, it's already a beautiful song, but it's really pretty as a duet too!
It's always really nice to have a day full of creativity and learning...even if you're learning about beer :)

No comments:

Post a Comment