Thursday, March 29, 2012

A Day in the Life of a Stand In

So yesterday I was doing my typical submissions on LA Casting & Actors Access throughout my day, in between my work-outs, and finishing up of my taxes (I finished my State Taxes yesterday, and am all done), when I got a phone call from a Production Company.  She asked if I was available on Thursday for the Stand-In job, remembering that I'd just submitted for that no more than a half hour ago, and they were looking for someone Hispanic, or at the very least mixed.  So I can play Hispanic, let's add that to the resume!  I was supposed to work at Irish Times, and I had already told the girl I was working for, two weeks ago, that I would cover for her.  I told the Production Company to give me 10 minutes and I would see what I could do.  After calling 5 people, I got a response from the lovely, Christa, that she would cover for me...thank goodness!!  So I called the PC back and told them I would be available and she said she would send the information right over. 

From the information, I knew I was working as a Stand-In, had a decent rate, it was for Disney, and I needed to be in Hollywood, hair and make-up ready at 8 am.  I had Karaoke that night so I knew it was going to be a long day on set today!

My alarm woke me up at 6:30 am and I got ready for my day.  Grabbing my sweater before I headed out the door and arrived in Hollywood, at Hollywood Center Studios 15 minutes early!  As soon as I got on set one of the Production Assistant's asked if I had eaten breakfast, and told me to grab something to eat.  The day was starting off with a bang!  I grabbed some eggs, turkey and vegetarian sausage, lots of fruit, and a croissant.   I met the other stand-in for the day, and sat down to eat my amazing breakfast, and then waited, and waited, and waited.  Over 2 hours later, and we finally got called to set!  It was freezing in the building and I was hoping under the lights it would feel better, but they were really challenging us, or trying to keep us awake.  The cold was actually my saving grace, since I was going on just about 4 hours of sleep, and I was so glad I had grabbed my sweater!

So what does a Stand In do?  Well, when they're setting the lighting, getting the set just right, putting all the props in, and figuring out all the details, the Stand In's, stand in, for the actors while they are getting their hair and make-up done, going to wardrobe, eating, or rehearsing their lines.  I actually was really glad to be doing it, because it got me on a set, I was able to talk to a bunch of the Crew and learn some things, plus, it's experience!  So once the set is all ready, then the actors come in and do their thing while the camera's are rolling...and that's when the magic happens.

I was standing in for Valery Ortiz, a latina girl with green eyes, and we actually do look a little bit alike, so I see why I was called to work.  She's one of ABC Family's Hosts, and the shoot was for the new Spring Promo's for ABC Family which is owned by Disney.  They were also shooting some shots for Acuvue as well.  The really cool thing about being her Stand In, was that when we were hitting our marks, I was able to do her lines, while reading from the teleprompter, thus, giving me an opportunity to work on my Prompter & Cold Reading Skills in front of a huge crew!  Basically, I took Hosting Classes today!  Valery was incredible, she was very professional, made very few mistakes for a long day, and was really fun to watch.  

Throughout the day, we were on set, and then off, while the actors were in, or while the crew was changing the set around for different shots.  While Daniel (the other stand in) and I, waited, we ate.  Craft Service was spectacular...dried fruit, strawberries, banana's, crackers and different kinds of cheeses, little snacks and munchies, desserts, tea, and more!  It was actually overwhelming, and kind of sad, because I couldn't eat any of the candy.  Lent is almost over and I can't wait to eat some Sour Patch Kids and drink a Root Beer!!  Around 1 pm we broke for an awesome Catered Lunch.  I chatted with some of the crew, they were all free-lanced, but this particular crew works together at least once a month, and they shoot these promo's on a regular basis.  One of the crew guys was even trying to buy an airplane, and made an offer to someone in Wisconsin!

After Lunch we went back to work, and finally at 6:30 pm they cut Daniel and I for the day.  I was literally so exhausted, even though I didn't really do anything.  Grazing on food all day long, getting practically no sleep, and being on my feet on and off for 10 hours really took it out of me, and I was so excited to come home and just hang on the couch.

So here I sit...writing my blog, drinking a cup of hot tea, certainly not eating anything anytime soon and catching up on some American Idol.  It's almost 9:30, and that might be my bedtime tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment