Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Magic Castle

Going to the Magic Castle has been something I've wanted to do ever since I moved to LA.  You have to know a Magician in order to get invited to it, so it's kind of exclusive, and something that everyone should do at least once in their life if they have lived in LA.  
 
Neil & I on the Red Carpet at The Magic Castle
Neil's friend, John, was having his Birthday there so there was a group of us and upon arriving, we had to say a code word in order to enter the building.  There were so many different bars throughout the whole castle and they had Magic Shows going on throughout the night.  We saw 3 different shows, one close-up Magic Show, one that a Magician was predicting answers on cards, and another one that included Juggling and some other acts.  There were tons of different exhibits throughout the castle and it even had a piano that would play any song you asked of it!  That was definitely a hi-light.  We all had Dinner together in one of the many Dining Rooms and I ordered a steak, which was very tender but over-cooked for my liking, since I like my steak Medium Rare.  After getting shots for the Birthday Boy, we all noticed Neil Patrick Harris who is the President of the Magic Castle chatting with some people.  'How I Met Your Mother' is one of my favorite shows so I was nervous and excited all at the same time and knew I had to say hi and throw in a quick line about a slap bet to show my love and support of the show.  So Neil went over and started chatting with him and actually got scolded by NPH for not having his suit coat on 'we're not in Vegas, Dude', and after I told NPH about a friend of mine who comes to the Magic Castle, I made my joke and hoped he would give me a hi-five or a Legen...wait for it...dary moment, but apparently he didn't find me all that amusing and excused himself.  Bummer!  I wish our Birthday Group would have all been able to get a picture together but there's a strict no camera rule, so unfortunately, all we have are the stolen photos and red carpet photos that were taken outside of the Magic Castle on our fun adventure!
 
Overall, it was a really neat experience, although VERY expensive, but something cool and NEW for me in LA.  I'm glad to say I'm keeping true to my resolutions and trying new things, and doing something creative as well!
 
So now I'll be completely caught up on Karaoke songs as last week was Marcus' Birthday and it was a pretty busy night with Khad's Mom in town, and Jamie and her friend visiting as well!  My first song of the night was 'Wonder' by Natalie Merchant and that was followed by 'It's So Easy' by Linda Ronstadt.  My new song of the night was Kelly Clarkson's 'Because of You' which was a challenge that I'll try singing again, one step down, although I could hit all the high notes, it was right at my break, so it'll be easier to try it a little lower.  I ended the night with 'Baby Love' for Marcus and was happy with a busy and successful Karaoke evening!

No comments:

Post a Comment