Sunday, August 18, 2013

An 80's Cover Band and 90's Karaoke

A couple Thursday's ago was a surprise trip to The Canyon Club in Agoura Hills with Neil.  I had never been there but I know that all sorts of bands play there including Pat Benatar who I will definitely see there the next time she's in town because the venue was perfect.  

We went to Canyon Club to see an 80's Cover Band, that was a mix of Steel Panther and The Spazmatics.  One guy was dressed like Nikki Sixx, while another was Slash, then the guy from Devo, and the lead singer was dressed like some singing actor in a movie.  The show started out really good, everyone was singing along and dancing to the music, and they were playing songs that everyone knew and could have fun dancing to.  The problem was, everyone was drunk, a good 20 years older than us, and dressing pretty scandalous, but this was my first time at Canyon Club and I was warned before arrival.  They switched things around half-way through their set, and started to play a Gun's & Rose's song and all of a sudden, something was off.  We couldn't tell if it was the lead guitarist, or the lead singer who picked up a guitar, but because the guitar was off, the singing went off-key.  They had also switched drummer's and while the new drummer came on was actually pretty awesome, you could tell he loved to play and was having such a good time, in his excitement, tossing his sticks was causing the rhythm to be off.  It was kind of a mess and the problem was, the band never recovered, and the next few songs were totally off.  It was a shame because you could tell the bassist was trying to figure out where it was coming from and knew things weren't right but there was nothing he could do at this point.  I love hearing 80's Music and I think Cover Bands are super fun, and I love the cheese factor of the synchronized dance moves, costumes, and vocals, I just wish they had been able to keep it together for the whole show.  I'd definitely go see them again but hopefully they'll have practiced a little more and be prepared to rock out, in tune.
Then this past week at Karaoke it was a really quiet night and people got to sing a bunch since it was so slow.  I set myself to a 90's Women Musical Theme, and since I'm still building my History with our new computer, it couldn't be anything that was already on my list.  My first song was 'Who Will Save Your Soul' by Jewel which was followed by 'Head Over Feet' by Alanis Morissette; two women who made their biggest hits in the 90's but still continue to create music today!  My new song of the night, which I'm surprised I've never sang before was Ace Of Base's, 'All That She Wants,' and a song that isn't one of my favorites after singing it; I prefer to do 'Don't Turn Around' or 'The Sign' because it's such a crowd favorite.  Next up I did 'Here Comes The Rain Again' by The Eurythmics and I did some new harmonies on it and after letting everyone else sing a few more times I closed out the night with Natalie Merchant's 'Wonder' which is just a fun and happy song.  I'm always happy when people get to sing a bunch and since it was a slow night, I got to go home a little bit early and get some sleep before my crazy work weekend ahead!

I think it's time for an 80's Theme Karaoke night soon :)

No comments:

Post a Comment