Thursday, June 19, 2014

Playa Provisions & City Tavern

I checked out two new bars this month for a little cocktail hour!  I'm definitely keeping up with that New Year's resolution, in trying new restaurants, new Happy Hours, and new bars and both places I checked out were awesome!

I'm not a whiskey drinker, from accidentally sipping on my Dad's Seagrams 7 & Coke as a little kid, to tasting his Maker's & Coke nowadays, I have never liked the flavor.  Plus, whenever I do drink Whiskey I tend to get a little fiesty so I just try to avoid it.  This was not the case at Playa Provisions, a new Restaurant & Bar in Playa Del Rey.  Their back bar area is pretty much all Whiskey, they had one bottle of Vodka, and I think I saw a bottle of Gin, but since their entire cocktail menu was Whiskey drinks, I decided to go with the flow and try something new.  I do admit when I'm home for Christmas and my Uncle is making Whiskey or Brandy Old-Fashions I will have one because we always make them really sweet in the Midwest and that just covers the taste of the Whiskey.  Old Fashions here in LA are made with water, so I've never liked them.  Whatever they do at Playa Provisions made me a believer in a Los Angeles Old Fashion.  It had a sweetness but I still tasted the Woodford Reserve which had a nice vanilla smoothness to it, and the drink was easy to drink and quite enjoyable.  I'd definitely go back for another one and I'm very excited to check out their food menu since they officially opened up on June 7th!

Next up it was time to check out City Tavern!  My friend, Jess, has worked there since it opened and he was working the night I went in too.  I checked out their beer menu first since they had so many different kinds on tap and tasted one of their ciders which was delicious and sweet but not sugary and also a fruity white ale that had an awesome finish.  I would have ordered either beer but then saw their cocktail menu and couldn't not try the Grape Goose.  It was Grey Goose, fresh lemon, Agave nectar, and white grapes.  It was so light and refreshing, a perfect drink to sip and enjoy on a Summer day, I wished it was the afternoon and I could have been outside on the patio in downtown Culver City.  Not only did they have some other fun drinks on their menu but the food menu looked awesome, including the desserts!  I can't wait to go and try their Peach Cobbler...yum :)

It was two for two on cocktails at these two new places and I'm excited to re-visit them again! 

No comments:

Post a Comment