Saturday, June 14, 2014

Spanning Decades at Karaoke!

Two busy weeks of Karaoke are in the books and this week's Karaoke will be a celebration for my Birthday since I turn 31 at midnight!  Two weeks ago at Karaoke it was more of a span the ages kind of night as I sang songs from the 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's.  This past week since Justin had organized a group of us from Creating Arts to come in, we had a Musical Theater theme going for a couple rounds, and it was a really busy night at Karaoke!

Two weeks ago I decided to build my history a little bit and sing some songs I hadn't sang in a while.  I started with 'Then He Kissed Me' by The Crystals and then 'By My Baby' by The Ronette's.  Mr. Massacre Billy Joel happened to walk in the bar so singing Carly Simon's 'You're So Vain' couldn't have happened at a better time.  Getting into the 80's I did Joan Jett's 'I Hate Myself For Loving You' and moved to the 90's with my new song of the night, 'Because You Loved Me' by Celine Dion.  I meant to lower the key but forgot and the song actually went really well.  I'll be excited to try it again when I'm more confident with it!  Next up it was 'I Dreamed A Dream' from Les Miserables and I closed out the night with 'Don't' by Jewel.  It was kind of fun to sing songs from all the different years and see how much music has changed.  Those classic songs still hold up while the new ones may become classics 20 years from now!

This week's Karaoke started with a lot of 90's music, and I opened with 'Sunday Morning' by No Doubt.  Justin and Zach sang Barenaked Ladies, Britney Spears, Savage Garden, and even more artists from those years.  My next song was Duffy's 'Mercy' and Ace asked me to sing a duet with him so we did 'Cruisin' by Huey Lewis and Gwyneth Paltrow.  We moved to the Musical Theater theme and I did 'Part of Your World' from Little Mermaid while we heard other songs from Rocky Horror Picture Show, Rent, Hairspray, and Little Shop of Horrors.  My new song of the night was 'No One Knows Who I Am' from Jekyll & Hyde but it was a really bad version of the song (thankfully we have two) so it was a little confusing and next time will go much better with a more true to the melody version of the song.  I joined Bob for a duet of 'A Whole New World,' from Aladdin and then closed out the night with 'Is This Love' by Whitesnake since everyone sang rock songs on their last round.

I'm excited for Karaoke this week!  We always have a lot of fun when it's someone's Birthday, and hopefully Gabe's will be filled with lots of my friends so everyone can get up to the microphone to sing a few songs throughout the night and celebrate my 31st with great music!

No comments:

Post a Comment