Thursday, December 15, 2016

Thanksgiving in LA and Dad's Visit!

We're already into December but a little wrap-up about the week of Thanksgiving is always on time!  My Dad came to visit me and it was his first time flying solo.  He's always flown with my Mom, and the last time he came out here, he was with my brother and my brother's girlfriend.  I was very proud he was able to do it all on his own!

Dad got into town on Wednesday so I picked him up at the airport and we headed straight to Karaoke!  We had a fun night there and Thursday morning was all prep for our Thanksgiving Dinner at Kristina & Alex's.  I was making a Corn Succotash for the first time and my Orange Bourbon Cranberries.  Dad actually measured everything out for the Cranberries and stirred them while I prepped the Succotash.  I was very impressed with his ability to help me in the kitchen AND stay out of my way.  Oops ;)  My Succotash turned out great and Dad even ate it with all the random veggies I put in it, so I knew it was good.  We headed over to Kristina's that afternoon with Rutherford in tow (he got to spend the night playing with Ringo), we all and enjoyed a meat and cheese hour complete with cheese and summer sausage from Wisconsin that Dad had brought with him.  There was Butter Chardonnay among so many other beautiful wines, Champagne, and then Dessert Wine for later.  Our Dinner was a true feast with a Sunchoke Salad, Creamed Spinach, my Succotash, Mashed Potatoes and Stuffing, Turkey, Beef Wellington, Cranberries and more.  We all had to take a break before eating Pie for dessert!  Alex's friend, Jim, played some songs on the guitar for us, and we spent the rest of the night chatting about music, the old times and fun.  It was such a lovely Thanksgiving!
Thanksgiving Vibes
On Friday, Anthony had gotten us tickets to the LA Auto Show so we spent all afternoon walking around the show and checking out the cars.  We did some research for a new car for me Of course, now the Honda Accords are getting great gas mileage, I apparently got the lemon year of 2010.  In the running is the Mazda 6 Grand Touring, Chevy Malibu Hybrid, and the Hyundai Sonata Hybrid.  I decided against the Lexus since the mileage is way too low, and while I like the BMW, I didn't necessarily feel like it was 'my' car when I sat in it.  I still need to go and test drive all of them but it was a great way to check them all out in a short time frame.  To top it all off, as we were walking to the other section of the show, I recognized an actor from my favorite Netflix show, 'Wentworth.'  I said his name out-loud, not thinking it could really be him, and he turned around so I had to think quick, and of course, started blurting out random information as Dad complimented his accent (he's Australian) and then we took a photo.  I was stoked; Luke McKenzie was so humble and friendly, and just an all-around nice guy.  That was really all I could talk about for the next hour, so Dad and I finished up at the show and came back home for Dinner.  I had specifically got a Blue Apron order for us that week.  It was a NY Strip Steak with Garlic Mashed Potatoes and Lemon Broccoli.  I also did a Carrot Souffle.  We went to Blind Barber for some after-dinner drinks and Dad found a new whiskey thanks to Daniel!  I may have to get him a bottle of Four Roses for Christmas!  We went and got Hawaiian Shave Ice and Dole Whip at this place on Sawtelle that Rachel had introduced me to and got settled in for the night to watch a movie.
My home-made steak dinner!

Saturday it was raining in LA, a rare thing for Dad to experience and we stopped at a couple Guitar Shops and also the Harley place in Marina Del Rey.  That night we went to Ruth's Chris for Dinner which was a nice treat.  We definitely ate well the week of Thanksgiving!  After Dinner, I had to head to work at Bar Lubitsch and it was a Saint's & Sinner's reunion with Mike, Carolyn (our new Bartender there) and I behind the bar.  Dad was kept company by some regulars and around midnight I went out and got him all settled in an Uber back to my apartment.  At the end of the night, a guy approached me and asked if that was my Dad I had gotten the Uber for.  I said yes, and he said, he has two daughters and he hopes that one day, they take care of and show that much concern for him, as I had done for my Dad.  Seriously started to tear up right there in the bar; such a sweet compliment!
Met Luke McKenzie at the LA Auto Show!

Sunday was more low-key.  I had been fighting a cold so I took a nap while we were watching a movie.  That night Dad and I met up with Giana and her parents at C&O in Venice for an Italian Dinner!  It was so nice to get our families together since they have so much in common, especially about their love for motorcycles.  On Monday, Rutherford went into surgery for his 'snip snip' and they also fixed his Umbilical Hernia.  It was nice to have Dad here to keep me calm since the second I dropped him off I started to cry.  Dad and I had Brunch at Overland Cafe and found out his flight was delayed so we'd be able to spend a couple more hours together.  We picked up Rutherford on the way home, and he was very out of it, so we just hung out with him and Dad got packed up so I could take him to the airport.

We had such a great few days together, just me and Dad.  It really was our first time hanging out together in LA since Mom was always with him when he'd visit.  Mom would come out on her own a couple times a year which I loved, so it'll be a new tradition that Dad and I will do now.  I may have to get him in the Kitchen more often too.  He's already excited about me coming home next week so we can have a Wine and catch-up night.  I'm really excited to be going home for Christmas the Holidays. Plus, Rutherford is going to have a new friend to meet, and me too, but that's a story for another day :)

Check out my new blog above with more pictures from Dad's visit!

No comments:

Post a Comment