Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Friday the 13th Improv Show

On Friday the 13th we had our first Aces of Improv Show of the year!  We finally had a Friday performance which meant I was able to be involved.  It was a small cast with a bunch of games and we ended up with a really great and supportive audience.  We did a bunch of short-form games and all of us had a blast! 
Before the Improv Show 'Album Cover'
Emily and I got to work together on the first scene where I became Abu from 'Aladdin.'  We were searching for treasure in Agrabah, and monkey poop (I know) became the theme of the game for all the groups in Three Couple Switch.  It was a really fun scene.  I'm always nervous about playing Opera but it usually ends up being a great time, and this was no different.  As Wayne and Nathan started the scene, they called for a bear, so I had to pull out another animal, and decided being Yogi Bear in the cave would be the best choice, while we all searched for picnic baskets.  Oh the places you will go!  Our audience member shared a very vague 'Day in the Life' which is actually helpful because we, as the performers, are able to add to the scene.  The male audience member chose Rachel to play him in the scene, and I ended up being a girlfriend he never talks about.  Everyone was able to jump in and keep the scene moving along in a fun and exciting way.  Next up was the Dating Game, with myself, Emily, and Katie as the Daters and Nathan figuring out who we were all assigned to play by the audience.  I got Beyonce and I became a bootylicious performer, who talked about my child, Blue Ivy, and when asked what I feared, I responded with "Nothing."  Nathan was able to figure all of us out and I think we all love playing games like this or Party Quirks because it really gets the audience involved.  I was also a part of Cue Word and New Choice, which is one of my favorite games.  We usually close the show with Park Bench and then sometimes a group Improv Song.  Our Park Bench was set in Uzbekistan and while Nathan's accent was spot on, I had no idea what to do as a character choice.  When Wayne went in with his falafel cart, I figured Rachel and I could be Sorority Cheerleaders from California who scored 1600 on our SATs.  While Rachel raided the falafel cart, Emily and I chatted up Nathan, and the other guys came in to scare off all of us tourists.  It was an awesome end to our show!
After the Improv Show for Cocktails at Bar Lubitsch!
I understand that this may not make much sense to those reading it but that just means find an Improv show in your town and go!  If you're in LA, you're in luck, because they are everywhere and on a night you're sure to be free.  We follow the format of 'Whose Line Is It Anyway,' and it's pure comedy for all ages.  Just make sure you're 'yes-anding' and not asking any questions and we'll see you at our next show :)

No comments:

Post a Comment