Tuesday, January 31, 2017

January Karaoke

I got back to LA just in time for the first week of Karaoke at Gabe's after my extended vacation in Wisconsin for Christmas and New Year's.  I may have left all the snow but I came back to LA for all the rain, which we needed so badly.  Now it's back to the grind and back to Karaoke!

Dolly Parton - 'Jolene'
Elle King - 'Ex's & Oh's'
Pat Benatar - 'Promises In The Dark'
Fuel - 'Falls On Me'
Norah Jones - 'Don't Know Why'
Whitney Houston - 'Saving All My Love For You'
Britney Spears - 'Everytime'

Sixpence None The Richer - 'Kiss Me'
Nickelback - 'How You Remind Me'
Fiona Apple - 'Limp'
Pat Benatar - 'Invinceable'
Whitesnake - 'Is This Love'

Patrick Swayze - 'She's Like The Wind'
Jennifer Warnes & Bill Medley - 'I've Had The Time Of My Life'
Gretchen Wilson - 'Redneck Woman'
Toto - 'Hold The Line'
Alanis Morissette - 'You Learn'
Heart - 'Alone'
Def Leppard - 'Photograph'

Gwyneth Paltrow & Huey Lewis - 'Cruisin''
Nat King Cole & Natalie Cole - 'Unforgettable'
Eminem - 'The Real Slim Shady'
Concrete Blonde - 'Joey'
Rascal Flatts - 'Bless The Broken Road'
"Les Miserables" - 'I Dreamed A Dream'
Kenni & I at Karaoke last week and the Ladies and I visited Gabe's on a Friday for a little Karaoke fun!
In that first week I was excited to have my fresh Wisconsin voice (no smog, limited smoke, fresh clean air from back home) where I can hit all the notes my LA voice has to work for.  My new song was Elle King's 'Ex's & Oh's' which I thought I knew, but even with Sam's help, didn't get the chorus right until the third time around.  We had a good laugh and that's what Karaoke is all about.  I also got to do some Pat Benatar and Whitney Houston that week!  The next week I opened with my new song, 'Kiss Me,' by Sixpence None the Richer.  You know you know it, and I can't help but think of "She's All That" with Freddie Prinze Jr & Rachel Leigh Cook every time I hear it. I threw in a different Pat Benatar song that week too.  We had a little "Dirty Dancing" Super-Set to kick off Karaoke the following week.  I far prefer singing the duet of 'I've Had the Time of my Life' to Patrick Swazye's song, but it did start the trend.  Since Kristina was at Karaoke, she gave me some requests including 'Alone' and 'You Learn' and we even got a song out of her too!  My new song was Def Leppard's 'Photograph' which was a blast to sing!  Why haven't I done that sooner?!  I had a surprise visit from Kenni last week at Karaoke and I had skipped my turn to sing a few times because I was doing duets with friends.  I did two of my favorites and it's been forever since I've sang 'Unforgettable.'  I'm pretty sure I've never done 'The Real Slim Shady' by Eminem because I feel like I would have been far better at it; his raps are so quick and he really is a talented artist.  We closed out the night with a musical round which made it fun!

Here's to 2017; a year of new music, themes, friends, and fun!  That's what Karaoke is all about :)

No comments:

Post a Comment