Tuesday, January 10, 2017

What's for Dinner? Part 16.

After I made this Corn Succotash recipe for Thanksgiving and my Dad actually ate his vegetables, I knew I had a hit on my hands.  Whenever we go to Cheesecake Factory his usual go-to is this Meatloaf with their Corn Succotash.  In fact, when we went the last time before I came back to LA, he ate all the Succotash, not pushing the peppers or zucchini out of it!  That means that when I made it at Thanksgiving and he watched me prep the recipe he actually didn't mind eating those random veggies he would normally avoid...SCORE!  I made the Corn Succotash again at Christmas for our big family dinner and everyone enjoyed it.  So here I am back, with a new recipe to share!

Corn Succotash
3 to 4 Cups Corn (I like to over-power with corn)
1.5 Cups Bell Peppers (diced, preferably Red or one whole Pepper)
1.5 Cups Zucchini (quartered or one whole zucchini)
1 Cup Onion (chopped)
4-6 Cloves of Garlic
2 Tbsp Olive Oil
2 Tbsp Butter or Margarine
1/2 Cup to 1 Cup of Chicken or Vegetable Stock
Salt & Pepper
1 Tsp Cinnamon
1 Tsp Ginger Powder 
1/4 Cup Chopped Cilantro (optional)
Any other seasonings you may like, Garlic or Onion Powder, Cumin, Nutmeg, 21 Seasoning Salute (I like Onion Powder and the 21 Seasoning Salute from Trader Joe's)

Succotash getting it's cook on!
Start by heating the olive oil in a big frying pan and once it's hot add in your corn and chopped onion.  While that's blackening over medium high heat, chop up your peppers and zucchini.  Make sure to frequently stir the corn and onion and season with salt and pepper.  When that has turned golden or slightly blackened, add in your butter, peppers and zucchini.  I love garlic and I use a garlic press for my six cloves for a more subtle hint but you could chop which would bring more of the garlic out. Once again season with salt and pepper.  You're going to add in your other seasonings at this point, and that's where the hint of sweetness will come in thanks to your Cinnamon and Ginger.  Let that cook for about five minutes and let the veggies you just added in, soften.  After that, add in your Stock of choice; I prefer Chicken for more flavor but you could use Vegetable to make the dish vegetarian.  You cold also skip the Butter and make the dish Vegan; there's plenty of options!  You want to let your succotash simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes, or until all the vegetables are cooked through and soft.  You don't want them macerated, but you also don't want a crunch when you're taking a bite.  After that you'll season one more time with salt and pepper and before serving stir in your chopped cilantro.  I love the brightness of cilantro but know it's not for everyone, so if you prefer Basil, that would be great as well, or you can skip it all together.  Trust me, your succotash will not be lacking in flavor!
Thanksgiving Dinner with my Corn Succotash
My Dad has been my sous chef both times I've made this recipe and is surprisingly a big help in the kitchen.  I love the way this recipe turned out!  Because it was Fall when I first made the Succotash, fresh Corn wasn't in season, but I can just imagine how wonderful it would be straight from the cob and into this dish.  I love the idea of the sweet seasonings to bring in more flavors and it felt very hearty and warm especially during the Holidays!  This recipe makes a good ten servings (we had leftovers too).  While it's easy to just do a single vegetable, I really wanted to try something different and I knew if I could make a dish my Dad would eat, everyone else would enjoy it as well.  Two thumbs up from Dad makes me a happy girl :)  

No comments:

Post a Comment