Monday, February 27, 2017

February Karaoke

Lots of friends stopped by Karaoke throughout the month, so it was filled with fun songs, love songs, new songs, super-sets, and more!  Feel free to stop by on a Wednesday night at 9 pm at Gabe's in West LA!

Rick Astley - 'Never Gonna Give You Up'
Journey - 'Lights'
Martina McBride - 'I Just Call You Mine'
Bryan Adams - 'Summer of 69'
"Rent" - 'Light My Candle'
Fiona Apple - 'Criminal'
Britney Spears - 'Hit Me Baby One More Time'

Nirvana - 'Heart-Shaped Box'
Patsy Cline - 'I Fall to Pieces'
Pat Benatar - 'Heartbreaker'
Natalie Merchant - 'Wonder'
Smashing Pumpkins - '1979'

No Doubt - 'Just A Girl'
Des'Ree - 'Ya Gotta Be'
Destiny's Child - 'Say My Name'
Tom Petty - 'You Got Lucky'
Tom Petty & Stevie Nicks - 'Stop Dragging My Heart Around'
Christina Aguilera - 'Fighter'
Journey - 'Separate Ways'
Jewel - 'Don't'

Garbage - 'Special'
The Temptations - 'My Girl'
Little Big Town - 'Better Man'
Roxette - 'Listen To Your Heart'
"The Little Mermaid" - 'Part Of Your World'

Tony and I at Gabe's for Karaoke!
We did quite a few Super-Sets in the first week since I had a few friends come to Gabe's.  I opened with a little Rick Astley and then we all did a little Journey.  My new song of the night was 'I Just Call You Mine' by Martina McBride which is such a pretty song.  We did another Super-Set, this time it was Bryan Adams and after that Adam and I sang 'Light My Candle.'  I had everyone close out the night with Britney Spears because I think we all secretly (or not so secretly) enjoy singing it!  The next week was the night before my Mom's Birthday, so all my choices were songs my Mom really enjoyed hearing me sing at Karaoke.  She really had an eclectic taste in music, thanks to her own personal favorites, my Dad, my brother and me.  She had asked me to sing Patsy Cline for a long time and this was one of her favorites.  'Heartbreaker' was the first song I had ever Karaoked, and we always talked about going to a Pat Benatar concert together!  She got me really into Natalie Merchant and the lyrics of 'Wonder' seemed really fitting for that night at Karaoke.  I closed out with her favorite Smashing Pumpkins song, '1979.'  It was a really nice tribute night to her!  In our third week of Karaoke we had lots of new songs from singers including my new song which I heard on the way to Karaoke.  It was really fun singing 'Ya Gotta Be' by Des'Ree.  We had a Tom Petty Super-Set and I got to sing two of my favorites!  It had been a long time since I sang 'Fighter' by Christina Aguilera and I'm happy to report it was far easier this time around (albeit a really difficult song and her breath control is amazing) so I'll sing it again for sure!  Since Adam dedicated 'Separate Ways' last week to my Mom, I sang it this week, and since he had to sing it in the right key, he made me raise it back up that half step, and it went well.  It was really a night of singing favorites that week!  The last week in February was packed with friends again including my friend, Tony, whom I've known for 11 years.  We met back in the day when we were doing background work for the TV Show 'Las Vegas,' and have stayed in touch throughout the years.  He's moving back to Pittsburgh in a few weeks so it was great to have him come by and sing some 90's hits for everyone!  My new song that night was 'Better Man' by Little Big Town; one of my current country obsessions!  The lyrics are spot-on and the song is really pretty.  I closed out the night with The Little Mermaid for Tony; he even got a little clip and threw it up on his Instagram.  

Overall, it was a really great month of Karaoke!  I'm going to get a theme going for one of the weeks in March so we can get a nice crew of people in!  I've got a Superhero Show on Sunday coming up for Creating Arts Company so my new song this week will most likely be dedicated to that.  Hopefully, the rain will subside and as we move into March and the Spring we'll be getting some more sunshine and fun party songs :)

1 comment:

  1. If you have a minute, I’d really appreciate it if you took a look at Emily’s Virtual Rocket. This is a serious newsblog which has been taken from e-newspapers and e-magazines from around the world, with an emphasis on transgender issues. Also, with his election, I look for articles which critique Donald Trump.

    I hope you enjoy this. Please paste the following:

    Emilysvirtualrocket.blogspot.com

    If you like it, please consider putting it among your favorite blogs. I would greatly appreciate it.


    Emily

    ReplyDelete