Wednesday, February 6, 2013

A Karaoke Post and Story

I did say I was going to keep my Karaoke posts shorter this year and I want to continue doing that but after last week's Karaoke at Gabe's singing my new song, and felt like I might have an interesting story to share.

Wednesday evening I was Hosting Karaoke at Gabe's and my songs for the night were 'Don't Stop' by Fleetwood Mac, 'Sex On Fire' since Silvia had sang another Kings of Leon song, and I closed with 'Before He Cheats' by Carrie Underwood.  My new song of the night was 'Always' by Bon Jovi because I was feeling the 80's/90's rock, and wow does that song have range!  It starts off really low and was much easier to sing once I got to the chorus; overall, a really fun song to sing.

This is where my story comes in...that song has a strange memory for me from a Junior High Dance.  A guy came up and asked me if I wanted to dance during the next slow song to which I said yes.  The next slow song to come on was 'Always' by Bon Jovi, so I went up to him and asked him if we were going to dance.  He then turned to all of his friends, they laughed at me, and he said no, he was never going to dance with me.  It was pretty traumatizing because I was in 6th or 7th grade at the time and trying to figure out where I fit in.  I got picked on pretty badly in school so there was no way I would have ever asked one of the guys in my class to dance because I would have known the answer would already be no, so this guy asking me made me feel that maybe there wasn't anything wrong with me after all.

I have since moved on from this event but even thinking about it now, it makes me sad.  And not for myself anymore, but for all the other kids out there who don't have close family like I did (or even friends) to help them understand that there is nothing wrong with them.  At the time, I couldn't believe what my parents were telling me (that I fit in, was normal, and a happy fun girl), but looking back on it now, it wasn't anything I was or wasn't doing.  It was just insecure kids trying to fit in and these kids found it easier to push someone down than help someone up.  Being picked on and teased is something that happens in most schools but I know that I'll be talking to my children so that they know they are loved, that they can always talk to me, because I know what they're going through, and that they can stand up for the victims of bullying, with as little as a smile or helping hand.  

I'm still a firm believer in the Golden Rule and when I was younger, I found myself 'turning the other cheek' on a pretty regular basis.  But funny enough, that guy asked me a couple years ago to be friends on Facebook and something in me just couldn't say yes; I ignored it for a long time and then finally deleted it.  I don't feel guilty about that one bit because I came across a wonderful quote that pushes me to work harder every day so I can eventually achieve the success I want.  I'll leave you all with it...

"If you're absent during my struggle, don't expect to be present during my success." ~ Will Smith

Feel free to share your stories or comments with me anytime :)

No comments:

Post a Comment