Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Kings, Karaoke, Cackle

I have the night off of Karaoke tonight and after a busy week with my Mom, it'll actually be nice to take a break from the hustle and bustle here in LA.  The past couple weeks we've had really fun nights, and last week we had a full list of Karaoke singers due to the Kings game.  It ended at 10 pm so Karaoke singers were ready to go after the hockey win!

On top of the Kings win, Mom was in town and ready for a great night of Karaoke with some new songs.  The bar was full thanks to the Kings fans so we had a lot of new singers for the night and were busy till after midnight.  My first song of the night was 'Love Song' by Adele and next up was 'Invinceable' by Pat Benatar.  Both were songs Mom had never heard me sing before, in addition to my new song of the night by Patsy Cline.  I sang 'I Fall to Pieces' which is Mom's favorite Patsy Cline song and I was definitely nervous to sing it, but made it my own.  I had some friends in as well and even though we didn't have a theme, we all had a good night.  Neil sang some Bruce Springsteen and we also sang 'Like We Never Loved At All' by Tim McGraw and Faith Hill.  Since it had finally died down at the end I decided to sing a traditional Chrsitmas song, 'Mary Did You Know' since that's another favorite song of my Mom's.  Only seven more months till it's Christmas time ;)  Mom made it through the whole night thanks to Aimee and our Gummi Bear shots!

Two weeks ago was a little bit quieter so everyone was able to sing a bunch of songs.  I opened with Adele's 'Rolling In The Deep' since it had been awhile since I sang that.  Next up was 'Time After Time' by Cyndi Lauper and then my new song of the night was 'Iris' by Goo Goo Dolls.  I love the song but there's a really long musical break and if I'm getting bored during the break, I know everyone else is too.  There are certain Karaoke songs that cut the breaks or solos short, and I appreciate that, because if you've got a singer who wants to sing 'Patience' by Gun's & Roses he or she better be really good, or the audience and I are very thankful for that shorter version.  I did a couple more new songs since we discovered playing the songs off of YouTube though I was told should only be reserved for special occasions but luckily had a few friends in that night that took full opportunity of some new music.  I can't remember the last time I heard 'Monster' by Rihanna and Eminem but Neil wanted to sing it, so I'm happy I was able to find that first note and sing that song well...whew!  Next up, Neil and I tried 'Just A Fool' by Christina Aguilera and Blake Shelton.  The good thing about Karaoke equipment is the ability to lower or raise the key in the song, and on YouTube, you can't do that, so a song that was high for both of us, was more of a challenge, but we gave it our best shot.  I knew I had to prep some Patsy Cline since my Mom was coming to town the following week so I did 'Crazy' and then McCracken and I closed out with 'Another Day' from Rent.

Next week will be my first night back to Karaoke in two months since I was cast as the Wicked Witch and had to hone my cackle for the show, as well as my scary witches voice.  I'm looking forward to singing some of my favorite higher-note songs and my throat, vocal cords, and voice will certainly thank me for this break for a long time :)

No comments:

Post a Comment