Tuesday, May 20, 2014

'Wizard of Oz' Final Weekend

I can't believe how quickly those five weeks of performances as the Wicked Witch in Wizard of Oz went.  I got to perform as the Witch in six shows and a Munchkin/Citizen of Oz in four shows.  Being in this show was brand new territory for me and such an awesome learning and performing experience.

With my Mom after the Show :)
Normally, I am cast as the girl next door, fun spunky girlfriend, or sassy female character.  I've never gotten to play a villain, especially to the degree of the Wicked Witch.  There was this sense of anger and frustration I had because my sister was killed when Dorothy's house landed on her.  I had to be terrifying and mean, pushing the monkeys around and frightening Dorothy, her friends, and the kids in the audience.  To top it all off, I wanted to change my voice, so I found this raspy evil sounding voice that did a number on my throat but was so worth it!  Although, I'm very happy I won't have to do it again anytime soon.  When I played a Munchkin and Citizen of Oz, I completely changed characters, doing a nerdy/dork with bewilderment and then excitement as a Munchkin and when I came on for the scene in Oz I played a stuck-up Debutante that enjoyed the finer things in life.

Twinning with Rachel as Citizens of Oz!
The impact the show had on the kids was incredible.  I loved hearing them during the show talking to their parents or us, answering our questions, and getting involved.  For the most part, the kids weren't really afraid of me and aside from scaring a few children AND adults (which I was very excited when I scared the parents on my entrance) they all were very excited to meet and talk to me.  The fact that they could conquer their fears and hug me was pure joy.  Of course, I picked up little bits of conversations like one little boy who kept asking where I was because he knew I couldn't scare him, or the little girl that comforted her Mom after I made my initial entrance saying, 'It's ok Mom, it's not real.'  Better yet was another little boy sitting in the front who got glitter on him saying, 'I'm very disturbed by this, there is glitter in my hair, there is glitter in my eyes, I am NOT ok with this.'  Kids really do say the darndest things!

My costume was absolutely stunning and I felt wicked in it, with the addition of some amazing make-up that really made my character pop.  I got so many wonderful compliments from friends and family and truly appreciate everyone that came to the show including: Neil, my Mom, Sam, Ashley, McCracken, Danny and his girlfriend, Bobby and his girlfriend and her daughter, Jeff, Aimee & Andy, Chris & John, Carolyn and her sister's family, Tyler & Monica, and Cathy.  Thank you so much for coming and supporting me on this fun adventure, and also thanks to those that sent wishes, luck, and tried to come but weren't able to attend.
The children were so brave to meet and hug me; I was ecstatic to talk to them!
As an Artistic Member of Creating Arts I look forward to working with our company and challenging myself in more ways.  My passion lies in acting and doing theater has brought me back to my roots and it's so fulfilling to do exactly what I love to do :)

No comments:

Post a Comment