Tuesday, September 9, 2014

New Outs in LA

In between work last week I was able to check out a couple new places in LA.  Jamie and I had gone to The Backhouse one night for Late Night Happy Hour after rehearsal for our Princess Show that weekend.  We feasted on all sorts of sushi and after we were done and walking to our car passed by The Wellsbourne and said we'd have to check it out a different night.  And for years I've been hearing about the Turtle Races at Brennan's in Venice but had never gone, and looked forward to it soon since some of my friends had their weekly trip to Brennan's on Thursdays.

After I worked the first Thursday Night Fooball game at Irish Times I got ready for the Turtle Races at Brennan's.  There was a solid crowd of people there but not too busy which was nice.  Apparently, Mark and his friends are regulars so getting a turtle wasn't difficult.  I knew the premise of the races from years prior but when it came to my turn I got a little nervous.  I didn't want to drop my turtle before I even set him in the inner circle but lucky for me my little guy was hiding in his shell.  I still handled him gently and set him down slowly only to lose when the race started because he was so content in his shell.  On my second go-around this next turtle was feisty as his arms and legs were going crazy and when it came time to race he was a runner.  Unfortunately, a fault was called so they had to re-start the race and he came in second that time.  After the races a cover band started inside the bar and Courtney arrived so we all played darts for the rest of the night!  I was horrible in the first game but came back in the second and we had a lot of fun :)
Darts with Mark & Courtney at Brennan's!
On Friday night Jamie and I headed out to The Wellsbourne to see if it would be a cool new bar in the neighborhood.  Upon arrival, a bartender saw us looking for a seat so he motioned us to come to the end of the bar where there were two open stools.  Awesome!  After perusing the menu I noticed a couple different drinks I would have liked to try, so I decided on a Vodka Gimlet.  It was delicious, perfectly sweet with plenty of citrus to cover the alcohol taste but still a nice strong martini.  Jamie was drinking Whiskey so she had given him a recipe for the first one and he made something specific for her second.  He said he wanted to make me a drink that woud have Barrel-Aged Gin in it, and it was way too strong on the first go around but after adding some honey, ginger, and other mixers, it had a nice kick to it, and was something I could sip on.  The drinks were reasonably priced for the quality so that was great!  I loved the set-up of the bar, there were booths when you first walk in, and then on one side there's a game room with Foosball and Shuffleboard, and on the other side, it looks more like a Library perfect for lounging with big sofas and chairs.  After finishing our second drink I knew I was sold on it; the bartenders were super attentive, I loved the atmosphere, and everyone was really friendly.  Jamie and I hit up The Backhouse again for some late night sushi before heading home and it was certainly a successful Ladies Night!  
The Wellsbourne with Jamie :)
I'm really looking forward to going back to both bars, Brennan's and The Wellsbourne.  I loved the chill but fun vibe during Turtle Races and really enjoyed the cocktails and great people at The Wellsbourne.  That's two new places for me in September and I've got a whole lot more of this month left to find even more new spots to check out!  Exploring is fun and getting to do that with friends is even better!

No comments:

Post a Comment