Sunday, July 26, 2015

Masterchef :)

One of my favorite Competition Cooking Shows is 'Masterchef.'  I think everyone gets to see a softer side of Gordon Ramsey versus his more passionate side on 'Hell's Kitchen.'  I also love Graham Elliot and Joe Bastianich who left after last season and Christina Tosi joined the cast this season.  I was elated when my friend, Thi, who is a producer for the show, asked if I would like to attend a VIP Lunch cooked by the contestants on 'Masterchef,' and happily said yes!

Giana & I at the taping for 'Masterchef'
We filmed the 100th episode back in February at the Trump National Golf Club in Palos Verdes and the episode aired in early July.  Being a fan of the show I knew what to expect:  A couple different courses, prepared by two different teams, with a vote at the end deciding which team would go into a Pressure Test later in the episode that we wouldn't even see.  My Mom and I went to the Botanical Gardens in Palos Verdes a couple years ago so I knew the view would be incredible but I had no idea the set-up for 'Masterchef,' would be so elegant, inviting, and fun!  There were over 100 VIP chefs, critics, restauranteurs, bloggers, and guests at the taping.  I was very excited to be amongst so many food people; it was literally a dream come true!  I brought my friend, Giana, with me as well, and after a glass of Champagne we were ready for Lunch.

Our table of VIP Guests...so fancy!
As in any taping of a live show, there's a lot of time you're waiting for cameras, food, and people.  After a quick walk of the red carpet and bartenders making sure our glasses were never empty, we finally got our first course about an hour after we sat down.  There were two foodie firsts for me at this Lunch, and having Caviar for the first time was one of them!  The appetizer included Malpeque Oysters and Royal Ossetra Caviar (which in it's smallest size is available for retail at $144).  *I just looked to find out how much it cost since I had never had Caviar prior to this.*  The entree was starring Duck Breast (another first for me; my Mom had ordered it at Dinner a few times but I never tried it since it always looked a little scary).

The Blue Team presented their appetizer as a Butter Poached Oyster with a Cucumber & Apple Pickle and Caviar Viniagarette.  The Oyster was served on a piece of Endive with a Yogurt as well and really was delicious.  It was light, you got the citrus in the Caviar, and the Oyster was sweet and clean, all the flavors standing out but working together to coexist in one awesome dish.  Lucky for us, we each got three!  Graham asked me what I thought about the dish and I was happy to tell him about how great the dish was and describe like I did above.  The entree was a seared Moroccan spiced Duck with Forbidden Rice and roasted Fennel.  The flavor of the Duck was incredible but according to our table was over-cooked (and I had no idea since it was my first time eating it).  I did notice it wasn't medium rare and difficult to cut but still tasted really flavorful.
Excited to eat some awesome food on the bus ride over to the Golf Course
and then some Giana and Lyndsey spottings during the Episode :)
After our courses we were given a ballot to rate our appetizer and entree and write any notes we had.  When I watched the episode it seemed like both teams had some trouble with the consistency of the Duck and I do believe our Oyster was better but in the end, the Red Team won.  Since neither team knew if they won or lost we all got to enjoy the festivities as well as the Celebration Cake that Christina made.  In typical Lyndsey fashion, I was still hungry and there was plenty of cake to go around so I ended up getting two pieces (I did share some with Giana) and it was glorious!  It was like a Funfetti Cake but better with what I can only describe as Cake Crunchies baked into it.
Cheers to Masterchef's 100th Episode!
Overall, it was such a blast to be involved in one of my favorite cooking shows and also be a part of the 100th episode of 'Masterchef.'  We got a VERY high-end delicious meal, enjoyed some wonderful company and libations, and a fabulous experience.  Now, if only I could Host a Cooking Show!

*You can watch the show here: Masterchef's 100th Episode*

No comments:

Post a Comment