Friday, July 31, 2015

Piccolo for Dine LA

After hitting up Firefly for Dine LA I knew I only had one more free night to get Dinner somewhere so Jamie and I decided to check out Piccolo in Venice before I had to Host Karaoke at Gabe's.  This restaurant offered a four-course menu so we were very excited to try some yummy Italian food!

Piccolo is located right off the Venice Boardwalk down a side street off of an alley.  It was a little difficult to find and even more difficult to find parking so we ended up parking a few blocks away and then walking to the restaurant.  It was a little quiet when we got there with just a couple tables being occupied but by the time we left nearly every table had people sitting at them!  It was quaint, old-school Italian, and elegant.  Jamie and I chose Piccolo because of the four-course diverse menu.

Look at that beautiful Scallop!
I started off with the Sea Scallops Capesante, and a beautiful scallop perfectly seared was presented to me.  It was definitely more of an amuse-bouche than an appetizer and perhaps that's what it was supposed to be.  If I had ordered it off the regular menu and not the Dine LA Prix Fixe I would have expected at least one more scallop and preferably two.  Jamie's Lamb Carpaccio was so finely sliced it was literally paper-thin. The truffle oil on her amuse-bouche was a nice touch and I actually really liked her choice as well.

The pasta course was next followed by our entree/meat course.  We both chose to get the Fontina-filled Ravioli with Butter Parmesan and Black Truffle shavings as well as the Pan-Seared Duck Breast Anatra with fresh Mushrooms.  The Ravioli was fantastic (although perhaps a little too al-dente for me, Jamie loved the way it was cooked) and even though it was a small portion it was beautiful.  The Ravioli popped in your mouth and was a burst of cheese and flavor!  Jamie and I both agreed the Duck was a little over-cooked as it came out medium and had a poultry taste to it, but I was still proud that I ordered it and went out of my comfort zone to try something different. 

They brought us the Chef's Selection of house-made desserts including a Semifreddo which was amaretto cookies, soft frozen cream and amaretto caramel as well as a Cream Puff that just melted in your mouth.  Both of them were a lovely way to end the meal.  
Jamie and I at Piccolo in Venice for Dine LA
This four-course menu at Piccolo was also $40 per person and although the portions were smaller than I expected I would like to go back and try some more items off of their menu.  Jamie and I ended up stopping at Chaya Venice before heading to Gabe's since I was still hungry so I got a Spicy Shrimp Roll there since it was Happy Hour!  There are so many hidden little gems all around Los Angeles and I think Piccolo is definitely one of them :)

No comments:

Post a Comment