Thursday, April 4, 2013

What's for Dinner? Part 12.

It's been a while since I've been able to try some new recipes or experiment with cooking and since there's been a flu bug and cold going around LA I decided a hearty soup would keep me healthy and happy!

I did find this recipe off a website and just made some slight changes to it.

Low Fat Asparagus Soup (Vegan)
2 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 1/2 Lbs Asparagus OR a Bunch and a Half (Cut into 1-2 inch pieces)
1 Medium Onion (Chopped)
1 Leek (I used both white and light green parts)
1 Large Potato (Peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces)
3 1/4 Cups Vegetable Broth
Salt & Pepper
Optional: 1 Tbsp Low-Fat Sour Cream per bowl and a Sprinkle of Cheese (adding either of these will make the Soup NOT the Vegan version)

Vegetables!
It took me quite some time to chop all my vegetables (and I had to stop twice to wash my face from the tears running down my cheeks thanks to an extremely potent onion) but once everything was ready, I pulled out the biggest pot I had and heated my Olive Oil.  Once it was hot I added all my vegetables in and cooked for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Then, I poured the Vegetable Broth in and let it simmer or gently boil for 20 minutes until all my vegetables were soft.  I seasoned with Salt & Pepper along the way and unfortunately was out of fresh Garlic or I would have chopped some and put about 4-6 cloves in as well to add some more flavor.  Once everything was softened I grabbed my blender and pureed the soup in 2 parts until everything was smooth and creamy.  I put everything back into the Pot and stirred to make sure it was all mixed properly.  Lastly, I got my bowl ready, added a dollop of sour cream on top and enjoyed my healthy and almost Fat Free Dinner!
Vegan Asparagus Soup
Next time I make the soup I'll make sure to add some Garlic and perhaps use Chicken Broth for a fuller flavor.  Other than that, it was delicious and had a really nice vegetable kick to it and since I love asparagus I found this a fun and different way to eat it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment