Saturday, July 27, 2013

Punta Cana!

After my Birthday in June I had a lot to look forward to including a week-long vacation to Punta Cana in the Dominican Republic with my family!  There were going to be 11 of us hanging out (my Mom & Dad, brother, Bobby, my Aunt and Uncle, my 3 cousin's, and their 2 girlfriend's, everyone coming from all over the US) all week long while we sipped Coco Loco's, had incredible meals, and enjoyed the beaches and activities at The Gran Bahia Principe in Punta Cana.

I met my cousin, Tyler, and his girlfriend, Monica, at LAX on Saturday night where we took a red-eye to Atlanta, Georgia, then had a 4 hour layover until we took our next plane ride into the Dominican Republic.  The moment we stepped off the plane it was warm and the airport was packed with people going through custom's and before we knew it, someone was grabbing our luggage and leading us outside.  I literally asked the guy if he was going to kill us, but since he spoke little English he had no idea what I was saying, and Monica was able to make sure we were going to arrive safely at the resort since she's fluent in Spanish.  It was about a half hour ride through the city and country, and very interesting, seeing how expensive gas was, all the resorts along the way, the apartments the residents lived in, and little shops and tourist spots.

As soon as we got to the Resort, everyone met us in the Lobby, we checked in and then headed to the room so we could go down to the beach and pool for a while to get some swim time in.  The water was a beautiful clear blue along a gorgeous sand beach, filled with umbrella's, chairs, and bars.  After swimming we got ready for Dinner and Mom and I made our way to the Lobby to meet everyone, but it was pouring rain outside.  To be honest, that was one of my favorite parts of the trip, it was a warm rain and it was really fun to be walking outside in it (lucky that the rooms had umbrella's in them since it rains nearly every day at some point).  We grabbed a drink at the Lobby then took a shuttle to El Pescador, the seafood restaurant, and once we got seated at our table, they came around with wine, told us to grab our starters at the buffet and then placed our order for Dinner.  This restaurant was my least favorite out of the ones we ate at because I was looking forward to really fresh fish and I was just disappointed with the choices and flavor of my meal and the meals I tried.  The buffet and some of the appetizers were really good but overall, I liked this meal the least.
Becky, Monica, Nicole, and I were ready for some Karaoke!
After Dinner we went to the Sports Bar where Karaoke was going on and since all of us had a few cocktails in us, the girls and I all went up to sing some Karaoke.  I sang 'Baby Love' and had Monica and Nicole as my back-up singers/dancers, and then we got a bunch of girls to sing with all of us, including Becky, Matt's girlfriend, for 'Wannabe' by the Spice Girls.  Since it was so busy in the bar we all went outside and played King's Cup, a fun drinking game, that has different rules for each card, including some strategy and word games.  We had a good time and after a late night snack we all were ready for bed!

Each morning we all went to have Breakfast at the Buffet before we got settled in at the beach for an hour or two.  Monica and I took dance classes in the mornings and I even went for a run down the whole beach one day when it was cloudy, in addition to taking some exercise classes on the beach.  I went swimming every morning, we all played pool games, and I tried to walk everywhere versus using the shuttle, so I was happy to be getting in some form of a work-out every day!
Catching some rays B)
And that was just night one...there's more Punta Cana to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment