Wednesday, July 24, 2013

What's for Dinner? Part 15.

I've been practicing a few new recipes lately and last night after a great work-out and deep cleaning of the apartment I wanted to make something light and healthy.  That afternoon I had read a recipe that sounded pretty good but I wanted to use ingredients that I had in my apartment and this was what I came up with.  Hooray for Roommate Night and Healthy Eating!

Minty Lemon Cucumber Quinoa
1 Cup Quinoa
2 Cups Water
1 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 Lemon (Juice & Zest)
1/2 a Cucumber
3 Mint Stalks
1/4 Cup Honey Goat Cheese
Sprinkle of Mozzarella Cheese
Salt & Pepper

Make Quinoa according to package instructions, boiling, and allowing the Quinoa to absorb most of the water.  While my Quinoa was cooking, I chopped my Cucumber, grabbed 3 stalks of Mint and pulled the leaves off.  Then I cut the mint (next time I'll finely chop it so the pieces aren't as big), zested the Lemon and juiced it setting that aside with my Olive Oil.  After my Quinoa had cooled to room temperature I added a dash of Salt & Pepper and then assembled my Dish, adding in the Cucumber, Mint, Lemon & Olive Oil, and crumbled Goat Cheese over the top, coating the Quinoa with the Oil Mixture and softening the Goat Cheese.  Then I sprinkled the Mozzarella on top and gave it one more stir to mix everything together.
This one had lots of Mint!  YUM :)
I was really impressed by how tasty this dish was!  I'm not sure whether to consider it a salad or a side dish but I think next time I may add in some White Grapes or Pomegranate Seeds to give it a hint of sweetness.  I did love how the Mint made it really fresh, and the crunch of the Cucumber was really nice.  The Honey Goat Cheese did make it sweeter and I loved the light taste of the lemon.  Overall, I was so happy with it, I can't stop thinking about it and I wanted to make it again this afternoon!  Now that's a success :)

No comments:

Post a Comment