Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Apartment Hunting in LA

I've been living in LA for over eight years and have only lived in two apartments which is pretty rare for the length of time I've been out here.  I don't really dislike moving but maybe that's because I haven't had to do it much and it's been fairly easy when I have.  I've found two of my roommates on roommates.com and lived with each of them for over three years so I'd say I've been pretty lucky in the roommate department.  

My current roommate, just moved out to be closer to her job so I joined roommates.com once again in hopes of an easy breezy move-in with someone new.  My last roommate and I had met at work and because of all the luck I'd had on the website in the past, I figured I wouldn't have any trouble finding someone new.  Unfortunately, this is LA, and people are flaky, disorganized, or just plain unreliable.  I'm not going to get into details but this time around has been such a frustrating process.

I looked at one bedroom apartments on-line about a month ago and actually went and saw over 20 apartments in two days last week.  I found one I really liked but that was about it.  There were a few that I could make work but when a decent one bedroom starts at $1400 and that's getting a bare minimum apartment with no amenities in the building, you feel like you're getting taken advantage of.  Especially knowing you've got about another $200 in bills for Internet/Cable, Gas or Electric, and Water.

The current apartment I'm in, which is a two bedroom, two bathroom, that are Master Suites, with all the amenities you could ask for (gated parking and entry, pool, hot tub, sauna, fitness center, laundry on every floor) is just a few hundred dollars more than a one bedroom.  If I move out, the rent for my apartment goes up $500!  So we were getting a steal because my second roommate and I had moved in when the economy was horrible and rent can only go up a certain percentage.

So after all of this, it's really a tough decision.  Do I stay in a place that I love and feel safe in?  It has everything I want and is close to my job, grocery stores, parks and my perfect running route.  Or do I take the plunge and move into an apartment on my own?  It's a big step and it is really exciting to think I'd have something that was all mine.  But I'd be saving a lot of money by continuing to share this two bedroom if even for a few months...  

There's no right or wrong answer and with as difficult as it's been, I wish someone could make the decision for me.  I've been looking for signs hoping God can help me decide but time is running out and I'm still stuck.  I know something will happen to make it all work out and I need to forget the stress and focus on the positive...so I'm starting now :)

Fingers crossed!

*I apologize for a more real/bummer type blog.  It's not like me, but I figured it would be good to share how I'm feeling and hopefully it can bring a new perspective to this situation now that I've gotten my feelings out!*

No comments:

Post a Comment