Saturday, March 29, 2014

'The Wizard of Oz'

I'm happy to announce that I will be playing the Wicked Witch of the West in Wizard of Oz.  Once again I will be working with the wonderful and talented Creating Arts Company!  It opens on April 12th at the Promenade Playhouse in Santa Monica and I will be performing on Saturday's at 2 pm as well as one Sunday in April at 3 pm.  It's running for six weeks and I can't wait for this exciting challenge :)

Playing the Wicked Witch will definitely be a fun experience for me since I'm used to playing the good girl but as I've been doing some research on witches, I've found some really awesome traits to use for this role.  Hansel & Gretel with Gemma Arterton and Jeremy Renner was really beneficial for me to watch as they're witch hunters and Famke Janssen plays the main evil witch.  She was a great strong character and her demeanor was interesting.

I've also been trying to find the perfect make-up for the role.  In typical Wizard of Oz fashion the Wicked Witch was an ugly evil witch but Mystic (we're sharing the role, she's incredible and performing on most of the Sunday's) said she brings out the fun and sexy side of her.  Since Wicked has come out there's been a whole new idea that the Wicked Witch is just misunderstood and really not some horrible person.  So I plan on using qualities from that musical and the movies I've seen to create an intriguing but really sassy and wicked character with stylish make-up more like the movie Oz: The Great and Powerful.

Rehearsals are under-way, I'm almost completely memorized and we open in two weeks.  We've got an amazing cast and crew and I can't wait for this acting adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment