Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Miley Montana & Brunch

I was excited to have Friday night off, for the first time in a very long time, because I knew I could see my friend, Acquah's show, that he'd been talking about for months.  He was performing in Miley Montana: The Musical which was playing at Second City in Hollywood.  This was my first time at an Improv show in Los Angeles.  I've seen Stand-Up before at a couple different venues throughout LA so I was excited for a new experience.  Walking through the hallways you saw all the different celebrities and comedians who graduated from Second City throughout the years: Shelley Long, Gilda Radnor, Dan Aykroyd, Bill Murray, Chris Farley, and Tina Fey to name a few.  

The room was packed with just a couple seats left.  I loved the musicians playing between and during each scene.  The show opened with a 'Britney Spears' impersonation and also had appearances by Pharell and Liam Hemsworth, both played by Acquah.  His Australian accent was awesome!  The cast definitely had fun during their performance and the show had some really funny parts.  I was surprised their wasn't a whole lot of Miley Cyrus songs performed, but then realized with royalties, it would cost a lot to use the music.  I still I loved a lot of the originals which were really great musically.  I'm so glad I got to see Acquah perform!

Brunch at Cafe Laurent
On Saturday morning I checked out a new brunch spot on Overland Avenue.  I've driven past Cafe Laurent many times and always wanted to try it but it has morning and lunch hours, closing by 3 pm so I usually just stick to Overland Cafe for brunch if I'm not at home having cereal or making pancakes.
 
I was greeted by a really nice girl with an accent who got a table ready right away.  It makes your experience a million times better when the first person you meet is genuinely happy doing their job, and she was incredibly sweet and accommodating. After perusing the menu I found a bunch of stuff that sounded really good from both the breakfast and lunch menu.  I decided on the Eggs Benedict since it was served on a croissant and came with Au Gratin Potatoes, avocado, and bacon.  The potatoes were some of the best I've ever had and I'm already excited to go back for them!  The Eggs Benedict was good too so I was very happy with my meal, there was plenty to eat, and it was reasonably-priced.  The entire staff and manager were excellent!

Cafe Laurent offers a $5 corkage fee so I think it would be fun to stop by on an afternoon with a bottle of Moscato, have some desserts or appetizers, and just enjoy the beautiful patio and live music.  I'll definitely be back :)

No comments:

Post a Comment