Sunday, April 6, 2014

Mixing Karaoke and a Cackle...

With the play just around the corner and opening in less than a week we've had more rehearsals and that means more cackling for the Wicked Witch.  It's pretty hard on my voice and throat so I've had to take it easy at Karaoke the past few weeks.

Last week was all about adding new songs to my History so I started off with 'I Want You To Want Me' by Cheap Trick which was a fun starter for the evening.  We had a couple groups in that were singing so it was a supportive room and songs that might normally go unrecognized were appreciated like 'Missing' by Everything But The Girl which came out in the early 90's.  Next up was my new song by Patsy Cline, 'Crazy.'  I try to stay away from her since one of our regulars always sings her songs and I don't want to steal anyone's go-to song.  Lucky for me, she was happy to hear me sing it and I won't be worried the next time I do it.  It had been a while since I sang 'Black Velvet' by Allanah Myles (which I did for a radio contest in college) and since we had a fairly busy night, Marcus and I closed out with Ann Wilson & Mike Reno's duet, 'After All.'  We still need a little work on our harmonies but it improved from the last time we did it as a new song for both of us.

Two weeks ago I opened with 'Heartbreaker' by Pat Benatar as I rarely sing any of my old favorites anymore.  Marty had come by early so of course there were shots involved and lots of crowd-pleaser songs.  Next up it was Madonna's 'Like A Prayer' and Bon Jovi's 'You Give Love A Bad Name.'  The last time I tried Colbie Callait was when I was working at Saint's & Sinner's, so for my new song, and one of my favorite songs of hers, I did 'I Never Told You,' which is such a pretty song.  By the end of the night, it was pretty quiet so it was a 'Gold Dust Woman' by Fleetwood Mac vibe.

As my voice adjusts to my witches' voice, hopefully I'll be able to get back into the swing of things after the play opens and I'm only doing my cackle during the show.  "I'll get you my pretty, and your little dog, too!  Meh ha hah ah ha."

No comments:

Post a Comment