Thursday, April 24, 2014

'Wizard of Oz' Weekends!

We're four shows into our 10 show run of Wizard of Oz at the Promenade Playhouse in Santa Monica and it's been an absolute blast!  I've gotten to play the Wicked Witch for three of the shows and have three more to go.  I can't believe how quickly the time is flying and how much fun I'm having playing such a crazy character!
From Wicked Witch to Oz Debutante!

The cast and crew of our show really enjoy bringing happiness and joy to those attending our mini-musical and it's incredible to hear stories from families that come to all of our shows, and how we impact their children's lives.  This is why we do this, this is why I love what I do!  On top of it all, I'm getting to do my own make-up and play such an iconic character.  It's been a challenge to change my voice and be this mean and horrible person but I've been excited about it every step of the way.  My make-up takes me about 45 minutes to do and I usually wait till the last minute to get into costume since there are so many layers and it gets hot.  The costume is one of the most beautiful costumes I've ever gotten to wear; I feel like it's a couture piece!  In fact, pictures don't even do it justice.  It's amazing how incredible our team really is!  And if Dorothy gets to wear red glittered shoes than the Wicked Witch should get to wear green glittered shoes.  When I'm not playing the Wicked Witch, I play a Munchkin or Citizen of Oz which is also fun just to do something different and be a cheerful and colorful little character.
Scaring Dorothy without my gloves ;)

Our rehearsals went by just as quickly as we had three weeks including our tech rehearsal before we opened two weeks ago.  Since it is Children's Theater, the show was supposed to be around 60 minutes but it's currently running around 70-75.  The kids really seem to be enjoying it and even though I was warned that I'm going to make kids cry and then I'll know I've done my job, I haven't seen any tears just yet.  Although, on Sunday I heard one little boy whimper and repeat a couple times throughout the show, 'I hope that Wicked Witch doesn't come back.  I don't like her.'  I almost have to laugh because if they knew the real me, they'd be begging their parents for me to be their new babysitter.  (I used to bring Kid Kits that I learned about from "The Babysitter's Club" books, and my little ones always loved playing with them and I baby-sat some families for years!)  The Wicked Witch really isn't that bad, I think anyone would get cranky if they had buckets of water thrown on them out of nowhere.

In fact, after the shows, most of the kids want to come up and talk to me.  Some are proud to admit I didn't scare them, while others tell me they're going to throw more water on me, and then I'll get the one adorable little nugget that will ask, 'Why are you so mean to Dorothy?'  I do have to talk and answer any and all questions in character which can be difficult when kids are a little nervous.  So I flash a big smile, get down to their level, and wave them over; hopefully they're not too afraid of me.  That has probably been my favorite part of this whole experience!  Well, that and getting to die on-stage.  'I'm melting, I'm melting, oh what a world!'

To purchase tickets or find out more information about our show or Creating Arts Company check out their website at www.creatingarts.org.  You can get discounted tickets on www.goldstar.com but make sure to hurry because they are selling out fast!  I'm so thankful to all my friends who've gotten to see the show so far: Neil, Sam, and Danny, thanks for coming!  Hope to see y'all in the audience soon :) 

*I play the Wicked Witch on Saturday's at 2 pm and the show runs under 75 minutes at Promenade Playhouse in Santa Monica!*

No comments:

Post a Comment