Thursday, March 10, 2016

Union Mission Rescue Volunteer

Lauren and I were working together one night at Bar Lubitsch and she mentioned she was going to a Women's Shelter to Volunteer the following weekend and I asked if I could tag along.  She said she'd check with the coordinator and let me know.  Lucky for me, I was able to join her and I had such a wonderful and heart-warming experience on a Sunday afternoon!

As I pulled up to the Union Mission Rescue I was overwhelmed by the level of poverty that was right in front of my eyes.  I was just a block from Skid Row and I saw hundreds of people on the street...this was their home.  I cried because I knew there was really nothing I could do to change their lives; I felt helpless and frustrated.  As I walked the six block from my car to the shelter, a man stopped and asked me for $100.  I had tried to 'blend' in that day, wearing Chuck's, jeans, a black shirt, and my hair pulled back in a ponytail, but I clearly didn't fool him and stuck out like a sore thumb.  I apologized because I wasn't carrying any with me and kept walking.  I walked past buildings where people were singing Church songs, ladies were gossiping, men were talking about food and plans for later in the day, people were sleeping in the middle of the sidewalk, there was trash everywhere, and I just kept walking.

Waynisha and all the gals who Volunteered!
We met at the Rescue Shelter and took a tour of the huge facility that helped people get off the street, take classes, find a job, put their children in school, fed them three meals a day, and still gave them small privileges that no one would take for granted.  It had separate sections for the men, women, and all the people who were addicted to drugs and trying to get clean.  There were dental and medical facilities run by students from UCLA and USC and also a bank so people could safely keep money and take out what they needed.  The building was nearly a quarter of a million square feet and even included a beautiful rooftop where they held events and also had a playground.

Our job as Volunteers that day (thanks so much again to Lauren for letting me join you) was to give the women manicures.  While most of them were shy at first, they slowly opened up.  After I finished manicures for two women (one of which was giving me the hardest time, having me re-do her nails multiple times, put initials on all of them, and was genuinely trying my patience) and yet when I finished and she took off the polish again, I must have passed her test because she was sweet as pie and friendly from there on out!  A cute girl, Waynisha, asked if I already had my nails done (and they were) but she asked if she could re-do them for me and I said absolutely.  Waynisha from Skid Row, that's what she told me to call her and she warmed my heart the way that the kids always do when I'm performing with Creating Arts Company.  She had a sparkling personality and thanked me when she finished with my nails.  I asked her how she could be thanking me when she had just given me a manicure?!  Waynisha told me that I helped take her mind off of all the bad things going on in her life right now and I gave her something to smile about.  Wow.
It was a humbling experience and I already know that I'm very lucky to have all the things I do, and my wonderful family and friends, but she gave me even more of a reason to be grateful for the things and freedom I have.  Thank you Waynisha from Skid Row; you made my day and I hope more women there find the optimism and determination she had to pursue her family and dreams.  Waynisha, you truly deserve it.

No comments:

Post a Comment