Wednesday, February 5, 2014

A Wednesday of Dine LA and Karaoke

It was the final week of Dine LA last week and I wanted to finish strong with at least one more Lunch and Dinner.  On Wednesday night it was Dinner at Duke's in Malibu and my first time to the restaurant, so something new for me!

I know that Duke's does Brunch on the weekends and also has a great Happy Hour so I was really looking forward to checking out the menu and trying some cocktails.  Because it was Wednesday, they had half off wine and no corkage fee so hooray for bringing a bottle in!  We decided to start with cocktails, one Basil Strawberry Cooler and a Jalapeno Margarita, both of which were delicious and refreshing.  I could have tried a bunch of others and will come back when they've got some Happy Hour deals.  For appetizers we started with Calamari that came with a Lemon Remoulade and Guava Cocktail Sauce as well as the Crab Macnut Wontons that had a Plum Sauce.  The Calamari was perfectly crispy and I loved all the sauces to dip it in but I thought the Wontons were just a little fishy but I'm super sensitive to that.

After opening the wine (Coppola is a wine you can always count on) and getting our entree's I was so excited to dig into my meal and I hadn't even taken a before picture.  I ordered a Filet with a dijon rub, creamed corn, and Yukon gold mashed potatoes.  Everything was so incredible!  The other option we went with was the Mahi Mahi with avocado, grapefruit, a ginger vinaigrette, and jasmine rice.  It was light and I loved the grapefruit and ginger flavors.  Finally, it was time for dessert and a huge piece of Hula Pie, that was macadamia nut ice cream, Oreo cookie crust, hot fudge and whipped cream, in addition to a couple scoops of chocolate ice cream.  It was certainly plenty of food!
Finally had a reason to wear my green pumps!  Wine, cocktails, and amazing Dine LA at Duke's in Malibu :)
One might ask how I can eat that much food and then go dance around and host Karaoke but I just have to thank my Jacoby blood for my love of food, and copious amounts of it.  It was actually a busy night and people got into the 90's theme that was started and I had opened with "Don't Speak" by No Doubt.  I know that 'Ballroom Blitz' by Sweet isn't a 90's song but Wayne's World is a 90's movie and I was channeling Tia Carrere when I was singing it.  What a fun song to sing, and on top of it being my new song, the crowd loved it.  Next up, I slowed it down for a little bit with Jewel's "Foolish Games" and Roxette's "Listen To Your Heart."  It was duet time for "Another Day" from Rent and "Like We Never Loved at All" by Tim McGraw & Faith Hill.  It wouldn't have been a 90's night without a little Britney Spears so I had everyone sing along to "Baby One More Time"to shut it down.

I love when the bar really gets into the music at Karaoke and people like being challenged with a theme.  Everyone did a great job and asked what our next theme night would be!  Now that's the spirit :)

No comments:

Post a Comment