Thursday, February 20, 2014

Karaoke Madness!

It's been over a week since I last blogged and I've been pretty busy with work, travel and other fun stuff like celebrating National Wine Day on Tuesday after Hosting at Afterbuzz.  I'm really behind on my Karaoke posts so today is the catch up for that!

Two weeks ago it was a slower night so I opened with 'Gold Dust Woman' by Fleetwood Mac and then did my new song of the night right away singing 'Missing You' by John Waite.  My Mom and I always loved that song so it was a fun one to sing.  It had been a while since I sang Aaliyah so I did 'Are You That Somebody' and then 'Bitch' by Meredith Brooks.  Carolyn and friends were in so we ended up doing a little Disney super-set so I did another new song from one of my favorite Disney movies, Cinderella, 'So This Is Love.'  McCracken and I closed out the night with a couple duets from Rent, singing 'Another Day' and 'Light My Candle.'

Last week was another quiet night, I'm sure with preparations for Valentine's Day and people taking the week off to get ready for that lovely day.  I had forgotten I had sang 'Gold Dust Woman' to open the previous week but did it again, and I think it would be fun to record an acoustic version of it.  There was some jazz songs being sung so I did Ella Fitzgerald's version of 'Don't Get Around Much Anymore.'  We all switched it up for some country so I did 'Here For The Party' by Gretchen Wilson, and can't remember the last time I sang that!  Next up was 'Love Is A Battlefield,' by Pat Benatar and my new song of the night, 'Ain't No Other Man' by Christina Aguilera.  I played with a key change and it made the song sound almost unrecognizable (it could have been because there was only one version of the song) so it was really difficult.  It's still a good challenge to try something new but that song is already daunting so it'll be a long time before I try that one again.  It was a night of adding new songs to my History folder so I also did 'Mercy' by Duffy which used to be one of my go-to's and such a fun song to sing.  I had heard Adam Lambert earlier that afternoon so I did 'Whattaya Want From Me' and then closed the night with Adele's, 'To Make You Feel My Love.'  It ended up being a good night for Karaoke!

Rahsa, me, and Lon at Gabe's!
This week's Karaoke was all about the Powerhouse, as I set a little theme for myself because I think it's time for a once a month theme at Karaoke.  So I started with the teeny tiny Pat Benatar, doing 'We Belong.'  It's probably been a year sing I sang Alanis Morissette's 'You Oughta Know' and it was a fun song to sing; I had to mention that even though I was singing an angry song I was having a great day :)  Another song I hadn't sang in a while was 'Love Song' by Sara Bareilles a challenging song but went well once I got into it.  Following the lines of the same title, I did a version of 'Lovesong' that Adele did but I don't even think I've ever heard it so in American Idol style I made it my own.  I really enjoyed doing that song!  Challenging myself again I did 'Call Me When You're Sober' by Evanescence, that girl has such a big voice and so much power behind it, it's hard to keep up with her.  I swapped it back to some of my favorites with The Supreme's 'Baby Love' and then closed out with 'Part Of Your World' from The Little Mermaid since we had a musical theme going.  That song is right in my range, I had just DVR'd the movie the week before and watched it, and it always brings back memories :)  

One of my good friends, Lon, also stopped by Karaoke last night with one of his friends so it was great to see him as I've known him for nearly 7 years.  It's crazy how the time flies!  Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment