Saturday, February 1, 2014

The Happiness Challenge!

I always like checking out Glamour.com to see any new style tips, fashion ideas, and good advice.  In January they started a column that was called The Happiness Challenge.  For four weeks they were going to post a different challenge each week to bring more happiness into your life.  I'm hoping that the column has done so well they continue to post for the next 11 months but if they don't, at least I got a good start for 2014.

Week One - This challenge was about Bravery.  Author Amy Spencer, who wrote a book about happiness, suggested to take a lesson or learn something new.
For me, 2014, is about new beginnings and positivity.  Now, it may have taken a couple weeks to start this initial task but over the course of two weeks I was able to try five NEW restaurants while Dine LA has been happening.  I tried new food and drinks and was able to experience something totally different at each restaurant, and that, was brave.

Week Two - This challenge was about Self-Worth.  Amy suggested to delete at least one toxic person's number from your cell phone.
I went beyond this task and deleted a couple, as well as some Facebook friends.  This challenge was to get rid of the people who don't treat you the way you deserve to be treated.  If I want to be happy, I want to surround myself with positivity and get rid of the negative.  It feels so much better to be able to walk away or say, I don't want to be involved.  If those people are really worth-while, they'll come back to you when they're in a better place :)  Or you'll be making room for someone new!

Week Three - This challenge was about Independence.  She said to take yourself on a date.
That's exactly what I did, twice this month.  I have gone out to lunch solo.  While the first time was a little awkward, yesterday's Dine LA experience was awesome!  Not only did I get to enjoy my food and some me time, I could go at my own pace, without being rushed, and just relax.  This is something I want to do on a more regular basis; I prefer to be around people but I think every once in a while, this is important for my own sanity.  Her goal here was to show you that you can provide your own happiness and don't need to rely on anyone else for it and how awesome is that!

Week Four - This challenge was about Generosity.  Amy's last suggestion of this month was to do something kind for someone else.
After reading this on Monday, I had gone for my run and while I was doing my stair work-out, I encountered a Mom carrying her children's backpacks up these never-ending stairs.  I quickly offered to carry the heavy bag and she was so surprised, and I instantly felt happier.  I think I grinned for the rest of my work-out, and I still had six more sets of stairs to go, plus the mile run back home.  It was feel good vibes the rest of the day and those little things are little boosts of happiness that everyone can use.

Honestly, I'm really hoping she continues writing these articles because January has been an incredibly optimistic and happy month!  

**Just wanted to post the link to first article in case anyone was interested in more details**
Happiness Challenge

No comments:

Post a Comment