Saturday, February 11, 2012

A Typical Auditioning Day in LA?

Thursday was a really exciting day for me because I had 2 auditions and a very busy day ahead!  Randomly, both required swimsuits, and I figured I'd rather have all the swimwear auditions in one day so I can solely concentrate on them.

I always prep for my auditions by making sure I have scripts read and any lines memorized.  I try to get a good night's sleep, and eat healthier for a couple days before, and also try to avoid alcohol for days sometimes even weeks building up to an audition.  Diet is extremely important when it comes to a swimsuit audition, and I'm not the type of person to starve myself, but I make sure I'm getting in a good work out with cardio and strength training so I look good, and that I'm eating healthy meals and avoiding anything that's going to make me feel heavy.  If I'm walking a runway, I want to float!  Other than that, a positive attitude and smile are key components!

My first Audition on Thursday was in Beverly Hills.  I saw a Casting Call looking for models of all heights and sizes who would be auditioning to walk the Runway for Mercedes Benz Fashion Week while wearing swimsuits or lingerie.  My first thought was what an amazing opportunity, and since there was no height requirement, I could actually audition!  I was notified on Tuesday of the audition, and that Janice was going to be present.  I immediately knew that meant Janice Dickinson.  Holy crap.  That woman is a legend, she's been on numerous magazine covers, TV shows, is a queen in the fashion world, and has a very out-going personality.  I was afraid.
I got to the audition at 12:30 pm and there was already a line of girls out the door and it only got longer as time went by.  It was a little chaotic but by 1 pm, cameras were rolling, the judges were ready, and auditions were beginning.  There were girls everywhere in swimsuits, putting on lotion or baby oil, re-applying make-up, flipping their hair, as I stood among them in my blue flowing dress, trying to keep it on as long as possible.  Perhaps this wasn't my best idea?
Janice actually came out and addressed all of us, saying we were fabulous, and she wanted to see everyone, and to please be patient because we were all important.  After almost 2 hours of waiting in my 4 inch heels (and I ran from the parking garage in fear I would be late, which was 4 blocks away), my back was killing me, but it was time to be confident, fabulous, and fun.  I walked into the room, full of excitement and introduced myself.  Why did I want to walk the runway, because I'm from Wisconsin, spunky, fun, appeal to both guys and girls, I'm real, and I blow fire :)  As I did my walk in front of the panel of judges I was shaking and incredibly nervous but continued to smile and give it my all.  Janice even said I had a nice tush, and could tell I worked out, and she thought it looked great (she was all about the booty with everyone else too).  They then commented how I could blow fire down the runway and no one else could do that, very impressive.  They asked my name one more time, as I said, Lyndsey Wegner, I heard the familiar, you're the bionic woman.  I gave a quick wink and walked out of the room.  I was still shaking on the walk to the car and was impressed that I stayed cool in front of some super impressive people.  Whew...I was so glad it was over!

I made a quick stop at home so I could run lines for a little bit and grab a snack and relax for a minute before I was off to my second audition in Hollywood.  Once again had to park super far from the building, and be cautious of parking in Hollywood because it's so easy to get a ticket, and once again I was off running in my 4 inch heels!  I really need to start bringing tennis shoes with me.  I can't say much about the audition other than I was auditioning for a role of a Co-Host for a show on a cable network.  I definitely felt much more confident at this audition and was surrounded by some more down to earth girls which made me feel a little bit more at ease while I was preparing for the audition.  I had changed out of my dress for this audition and was able to keep on my plaid pink button down and black shorts so that was nice as well, while the Casting Director commented on my 'pretty eyes.'  Quite a difference from the first audition, not that I didn't appreciate the first one, just a completely different experience.  I'm really hoping for a call-back on this one!

I guess it's not out of the ordinary to have swimwear auditions, especially in the city of Los Angeles, as it's sunny pretty much year round.  I have to admit, I'd rather memorize a scene and sit in traffic for an hour, than do a swimsuit audition, but I'm just lucky that I have the opportunity to audition for them in the first place, and won't have that forever, so I just have to be thankful for the chance while I have it!

After my second audition I went over to the Arc Light to see a Press Screening of 'Wanderlust'...but more about that in my next blog :)

No comments:

Post a Comment