Saturday, August 11, 2012

Laryngitis can't stop me!

I've been feeling a little under the weather on and off for a month; I've taken a break from drinking for weeks at a time, tried to get plenty of sleep, and have been eating healthy to figure out what's been going on, but nothing would stop this on and off cold.  I thought it could be allergies, perhaps my busy schedule, the changing season, but knew a month of feeling like this, including a Monday that knocked me on my butt, wasn't just allergies.

On Tuesday I made an appointment with my Doctor.  Luckily, the huge goiter (in my exaggeration) that was on my neck had disappeared, and wasn't inflamed or hurting the way it did the week before, but a slight temperature, my 'turtle voice' and aches needed to be checked out.  The Doctor right away said there was no way this was allergies with my hoarse voice and very swollen glands.  That lovely goiter was actually a really inflamed lymph node and the singing I've been doing so much at Karaoke wasn't helping.  He said I had Laryngitis.  The last time I had this I think I was in High School, it was Spring Time, and I was the lead in 'State Fair.'  I couldn't talk during our final rehearsals, and stayed silent and didn't sing for a whole week but when it came time to perform, I made it through and made my family and friends proud as Margy Frake!  There's not a whole lot you can do, except rest, not overexert yourself, and continue to take cold medicine, as Antibiotics won't affect it.  So I've done my best all week to take care of myself and aside from sneezing, feeling a little lethargic, and like I've got crap in my lungs, I'm feeling better taking my daily Theraflu liquid medicine that I swear by, along with drinking plenty of fluids and juices.

I had Karaoke on Wednesday and even my Laryngitis wasn't going to stop me from working.  I just turned that microphone up louder so I wouldn't have to talk as loud and tried to make the most of the night.  It actually ended up being a blast even though it was really slow.  A couple guys that had been in the week before showed up to check it out, and even sang a few songs, and Amy said that Jamie & Zach's version of 'Picture' was the best she ever heard!  Sean had come in and got the night going with 'Careless Whisper' and later sang 'You've Got A Friend,' that the crowd loved.  Jamie sang this awesome Musical song that was perfect for her voice.  She also sang a new song for herself, 'What's Up' by 4 Non Blondes, and she killed it!  Khad came in shortly after and sang some new songs as well, and I loved his version of 'Alive' by Pearl Jam.  It was a really slow night but a very supportive crowd, and even though the rotation was short, it was filled with a lot of my friends and a couple regulars so it was actually a really fun night!  Now, I knew I was sick, but it's been over 8 months of me singing new songs at Karaoke, and a little 'cold' wasn't going to stop me, so I decided to try 'Because the Night,' the Patti Smith version, which is definitely different than the 10,000 Maniacs version.  It's more rock and roll, which I love, but the words and ending were majorly different but something I would work on.  I actually don't know which version I like better, I'll have to do the Patti Smith version a few more times to find out!  Since I was only doing one song so I could do my new song of the night, I let Khad close out the night with 'Mulan' and got to call it a night early!

Friends, come and visit me at Karaoke; we all have such a good time, and it's so much more fun when you know the people singing, and we can all be supportive and can challenge each other to try new songs and new material!  This was one of those nights and I'd love to be able to share it with more of my friends, because Gabe's is a little gem that needs to be discovered :)

No comments:

Post a Comment