Friday, August 31, 2012

Comedy Central, Allergies & Karaoke

On Tuesday night after I was leaving my Photo Shoot in Alhambra I saw I had a missed called so when I listened to my voicemail it was a Casting Director who wanted me to Audition for a show tomorrow and gave me some of the details.  Knowing it was nearly 10 pm I tried to call back but they had just left the office; I left my info in hopes that I would get a hold of them before I missed the Audition.  Lucky for me she called me back within 15 minutes and I was getting the details for Wednesday's Audition.  Hooray!

On Wednesday morning at 11 am I had my Audition in Hollywood at a Production Office for the Television Show/Pilot that will be airing on Comedy Central called 'Venture-iffic.'  Basically, I would be playing the role of 'Becky' a woman who was hired to help a man who wanted to spice up his relationship with his wife, with the help of a Relationship Expert suggesting he do Role-Play.  The Audition consisted of mostly Improv with a few scripted lines.  After slating we did our first run-through with the female Casting Director, E*, reading opposite me.  The first one I was very flirtatious and seductive, she asked me to be forward so I did that.  Then she said to play the next one more coy, so I got a little more quiet, and perhaps even shy.  Finally, we did just an Improv scene just her and I, doing a little Role-Play and then the Audition was done.  It was fairly quick and simple and I felt comfortable with the Improv, even if I wasn't necessarily comfortable with the content, but I think I faked it well and stayed confident throughout the Audition.  I like doing Improv and have a ton of friends who are in Improv Troupes in LA, and I did it in College at Winona State with the Wenonah Players on occasion and it was always so much fun.  It gives things a fresh and organic perspective.

The coolest thing about the Audition since it was for a Comedy Central show was that it was a Union job so if I had booked it I would have had to have joined the Union.  It would have been a reason and a push to do it but since I didn't book the job (or because I haven't heard from them yet), I'm still in the limbo of being SAG & AFTRA Eligible.  There's a reason I'm waiting, and I'm hoping they'll be a reason that I'm joining very soon.  

Yesterday, I figured out I had Allergies and that it wasn't just a cold, and wow, do they stink!  I was wondering why it felt like I had sand in my eyes, they kept tearing up, my nose kept running, and I kept 'fake' sneezing, along with real sneezing which was a welcome feeling compared to the fake ones. 

So on Wednesday night I was Hosting Karaoke at Gabe's which was quite interesting but thankfully, I had a bunch of friends show up and keep the night going and busy for me so in-between sneezes I had friends singing and keeping the crowd entertained.  It was slow till about 10 pm and I played pool with a guy at the bar, and even hit my first ever behind the back shot, and I made it!  Once 10 pm hit we got the night started and by 11 pm the bar was actually pretty full since Amy was leaving for Kayt's Wedding the next day, so people came by to say goodbye to her!  Jamie sang 'Hold On' and had everyone singing along, it's such a fun crowd song!  My new song of the night was 'Ray of Light' by Madonna which was a silent creeper because it was really difficult.  I didn't realize the range she had in that song, not to mention I haven't heard it in years, so I had forgotten where she went up but after 6 long minutes, it was finally over :P  Jamie and I both sang a little Shania Twain and when Khad came in he did some Stone Temple Pilots and Pearl Jam!  Of course, the night wouldn't have been complete without a Double Entendre performance of 'I Want It That Way' originally by the Backstreet Boys!  It was definitely a busy night and I was so happy since it's been so quiet lately!

Today I had work at Irish Times and my allergies were in full-effect so as soon as I was done with work I picked up some Claritin and I'm hoping that will help me out!  I'm Hosting Karaoke again on Friday night and want to be able to enjoy the night, not spend it sneezing and 'fake' crying!  I'd love a little rain to clear the air, so please Rain, rain in LA!

No comments:

Post a Comment