Saturday, August 25, 2012

Resolutions & Karaoke

After 8 and a half months of singing a new song every time I do Karaoke I'm proud to say I'm holding true to my New Year's Resolution.  I'm still journaling every day, and at this point, I'm at 440 pages.  I'm also blogging regularly.  After this year, I can't say that I'll sing something new every time I Host Karaoke but I will make an effort to do new songs on a regular basis.  I will definitely continue to blog regularly and try to write in my journal every day, but probably less in-depth than I've been doing for the past 8 and a half months.  I think one of the most important resolutions that I've kept is that I'm doing something creative every day, whatever it is, if it's journaling, blogging, submitting for castings or sending out my resume and headshots, editing photos, painting, reading scripts or popular books, watching a movie I've never seen, writing lyrics, singing, performing or entertaining.  That is something I will continue to strive for each and every day!

On Wednesday I had my usual Karaoke day at Gabe's.  It's been slow at work (Gabe's & Irish Times) for the past few weeks.  I think the extreme heat had something do with it and the fact that it's the end of Summer and perhaps people are trying to enjoy their final days before going back to school, work, or feeling like Fall.  With all the craziness that's been going on lately, I feel like I haven't fully recovered from my laryngitis and am still run-down because I can't get enough sleep or eat when I normally do, or do my regular work-outs.  I'm going to be so sore next week when I get back to my usual run and stair work-out.  Perhaps I should re-think doing that the day before my Photo Shoot?

Wednesday started off slow and after fixing some sound issues we got the night started.  It stayed slow but steady for the first hour or so and then some of the Karaoke regulars showed up.  Both Debbie and Khad were doing new songs all night long.  Khad's discovered some new Pearl Jam and Jim Croce and Debbie is trying new Disco Era songs and even sang Frank Sinatra's 'New York, New York.'  My new song of the night was Madonna's 'Power of Goodbye,' which has been on my list to try for years but I always seem to forget about it.  The crowd seemed to enjoy it and it fit my voice and range perfectly.  I heard the best version of a Tenacious D song tonight ever which was a pleasant surprise and a guy that comes in on occasion and always kills it, did 'Devil Went Down to Georgia' and 'Folsom Prison Blues' which is better than Johnny Cash's version in my opinion.

When I got done with Karaoke, Khad and I decided to grab a late night bite at Swinger's in Santa Monica.  He got a Vegan Burrito and I ordered the Avocado Toast which was soooooo good.  Who would have thought?  Simple and tasty, avocado spread on thick multi-grain toast with olive oil, lemon, and chili pepper flakes.  Of course, I would have added parmesan to it, but it was still fabulous!  After a very long day, starting with court, getting in a work-out, then going to work at Karaoke, and a late night Swinger's run, I was ready for bed.  It was a good thing I didn't get that Rocket Shake afterall!

No comments:

Post a Comment