Wednesday, August 15, 2012

My Civic Duty

Jury Duty.

How many times in our lifetime do you think we get called in for Jury Duty?  Does it depend where you live in the US?  Are there any deciding factors that make us more eligible or likely to be called in?

My Mom in all her '28' years of life has never been called in for Jury Duty.  EVER.  I've been living in Los Angeles for almost 7 years now, and this is my second time.  Clearly, there's a lot more crime happening in Los Angeles County than in Sheboygan County (better yet Plymouth, town of 7,000) but how in all the millions of people do we get called in?  And me, twice for that matter?

To be perfectly honest, I would rather get the phone call that I have to serve on a Jury than to sit here and wait to find out if I'm going to or not, depending if they get to me by the end of the day while I sit in a room with 200 other people awaiting their fate.  I understand that everyone deserves the right to a fair trial, and by that, lawyers deciding who they want on the Jury to benefit their client, but isn't there a way they can decide that versus calling us into the courtroom to see us and question our life and choices?  We all fill out the paperwork but perhaps there should be a background check or a lengthy form you fill out when being requested for duty and if they want you, then they call you in.  I'm sure all this has been thought out and this is the best possible way to do it but while I appreciate being a citizen of the US and all the rights I have this is a major inconvenience to my day (not to mention the people that need to get off of work or have someone take care of their children, etc).

I had to skip a Fitness Audition today that I was requested for last week.  I got an e-mail from a Producer I worked with in the past, wanting me to come in today for a new Fitness Series.  I was all ready to Audition when I found out I had Jury Duty at the same time and there would be no way I could make it to the Courthouse without being late and then being turned away and the consequences of that were far worse than going into the Audition.  I just had to think that this wasn't the Audition or if they really want me, I'll be able to go in at a different time or perhaps they'll have Call-backs.  I'm trusting in God that he has it all figured out for me and today I had to be at Jury Duty.

At least nowadays you can bring your laptop and get work done while you're here.  The last time I was here, there were no laptops, just people, magazines, books they brought, snacks, and a 1000 piece puzzle I finished all by myself.  Hey, now that was an accomplishment :)  But for now, here I sit...haven't heard anything over the intercom in an hour, no one has been called in as a group to go to a specific room, and people watching is getting boring.  I should have brought a 'Friends' DVD!  Next time...let's just hope that doesn't happen next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment