Saturday, June 15, 2013

Catching up with Karaoke!

I can't believe another month has gone by and I once again haven't been able to keep up with writing about Karaoke.  My plan was to just add it to my blogs at the end of the week but keeping up with my blog has been difficult enough and Karaoke doesn't really tie in, so since it's off topic I guess I can just group them together and write a monthly Karaoke post :)  This is part of my being creative, trying new things, and keeping my passions alive so I just need to keep it up!

It was a night of duets a few weeks ago when Carolyn and some friends were in so I ended up doing 'No More Tears' with one of our Karaoke regulars, it's a disco song, and extremely high, but a lot of fun.  I had opened the night with 'Any Man of Mine' by Shania Twain, and then I instilled the help of Carolyn for my two new songs, one being Paula Abdul's 'Opposites Attract' and then singing 'Whatta Man' by Salt N' Pepa and En Vogue.  I closed out the night for her with 'Don't Speak' by No Doubt.

The following week with another group of friends visiting me at work started with Natalie Merchant's 'Wonder' and then 'Black Velvet,' by Alannah Myles since I hadn't sang that in a while.  I wanted to keep it fun for my friends so I did 'Mr. Jones' by The Counting Crows which I love to sing and then my new song of the night was Whitney Houston's 'Saving All My Love For You' which turned out pretty good!  Then I did 'Straight Up' by Paula Abdul and closed the night with Duffy's 'Mercy.'

When Mom came to visit and spend the night hanging out at Karaoke, I started with Stevie Wonder's, 'I Just Called To Say I Love You,' which I still need to raise the key of because it's too low for me but such a happy song.  My new song of the night was 'Missing' by Everything But the Girl, a 90's song, that went really well, and was dedicated to Mom!  Mom had never heard me do 'I'm The Only One' by Melissa Etheridge so I sang that next and then she requested a Faith Hill song so the duets began and started with 'Like We Never Loved At All.'  'A Dangerous Game' from "Jekyll & Hyde" was next up and much better than the first run-through a couple months ago.  Next up it was 'Light My Candle' and then I closed out the night with 'On My Own' from "Les Mis" since it became Musical Theater night :)

Last week at Karaoke we got a late start due to the Triple Overtime during the Blackhawks game so we got started right away when it was over and I sang 'Head Over Feet' by Alanis Morissette and then did 'You Wanted More' by Tonic.  I kept it a challenge to myself singing only 90's music and 3 word titles, continuing with 'Just a Girl' by No Doubt which I haven't sang in forever, and then did 'Heart-Shaped Box' by Nirvana.  My new song, which was also from the 90's, and only longer title was Taylor Dayne's 'Love Will Lead You Back' which was fun to sing.  Then I closed out the night with 'Don't Turn Around' by Ace of Base.  It was a great night of Karaoke!

Theme nights at Karaoke are a fun challenge and since next week is 80's Themed for my Birthday, I was happy to do 90's this past week, a Musical Theater set the previous week, and other new songs to keep things exciting!

No comments:

Post a Comment