Thursday, June 6, 2013

Just Do It.

Last week I had an Audition for a well known Sporting/Athletic Company whose tagline 'Just Do It' is recognized world-wide.  I saw the Casting the previous week for all sorts of athletes and when a Runner role came around I thought I might as well submit and maybe I'll be called in.
 
Sure enough, on Sunday I got the Casting notice for my Audition on Tuesday at the Cheviot Hills Recreational Center!  I was excited but knew it only gave me 2 days to stick to a healthy diet and get a couple good work-outs in.  That Tuesday morning I went out on my normal run, going a steady 4 miles, and doing a nice 30 minute stair session and by the time I was done, I was exhausted and glad to have an hour to myself before the Audition.

When I got to the Rec Center there were about 10 other people waiting in line to Audition, so I signed in, and got into line as about 10 more people followed suit after me.  The Audition consisted of explaining our Running/Track History, as they were looking for people with real-life experience, whether it was 5k's, marathon's, track and field, or just an avid runner.  I used to run Track in High School, did the Alzheimer's Walk (where I actually ran the entire time) and consistently run to keep in shape.  As I was telling the Camera Operator about my experience I included a story about when I'm doing my stair work-out, where people ask me what I'm training for since it's a pretty intense work-out, and I normally just joke around and say, "I'm training for life," but at this time, I could say "I was training for this moment, right here."  The Camera Operator liked my answer and then told me run across the basketball court at a good pace and then come back like I just finished a race.  I had watched the people running and was hoping I wasn't going  to look awkward or like Phoebe running on 'Friends' and felt good about my ability and my adrenaline was running so I had good energy going for me.
 
The audition was short, sweet, and to the point.  This was a big campaign so I was really hoping this one would be the one I got but then this week I saw a couple more postings about the roles they were looking for, saying the people who came in for the tennis roles, weren't able to return the serves, so people should submit appropriately.  And then I saw it.  I saw the Runner role come up again, and this time it said they were specifically looking for Marathon style runners, who were extremely skinny and all muscle including a picture of someone who liked like they were running at the Olympics.
 
That wasn't me; and at that moment, I knew I didn't book it.  Was I disappointed?  Of course.  But that's not my body, and that's not what I want to look like.  I like being healthy and toned, having some curves, and eating everything I like in moderation.  This role just wasn't for me but there's the perfect one out there, and it's just around the corner!
 
Both Photos by: Dave Kleeman

No comments:

Post a Comment