Thursday, October 10, 2013

Karaoke & New Headshots :)

As Halloween gets closer the Theme for our Halloween Eve Karaoke at Gabe's is being finalized.  There are songs, artists, costumes, and ideas running through my head and even though last year going as Axl Rose is going to be difficult to top, I've got something really fun up my sleeve!

My Approachable Country Gal
Commercial Shot
Karaoke last week had a Country Theme and I wanted to sing songs I hadn't sang in a while so I started with Carrie Underwood's 'Cowboy Casanova' and then 'Bless The Broken Road' by Rascall Flatts which I haven't sang since I first moved to LA years ago!  Everyone got into the Country Theme and we had lots of Patsy Cline and Johnny Cash.  It was certainly a good theme for the night and it encouraged people to try some new songs which I love!  My new song of the night was 'Man!  I Feel Like A Woman' by Shania Twain and next up was Martina McBride's 'Valentine' which I sang in High School at my Sophomore Cabaret performance.  I've sang it since then but it always brings back great memories of my High School Choir.  Tim McGraw and Faith Hill made an appearance as Neil and I sang 'Like We Never Loved At All' and it was one of our best performances!  I closed out the night with 'Redneck Woman' and it was certainly a full-on Country night!

My Tempting & Wicked Theatrical Headshot
This week at Karaoke we were celebrating Mike 'Doodle's' & Rian's Birthday at Gabe's so Rian and I did mini super-sets of songs starting with Amy Winehouse so I sang 'You Know I'm No Good.'  No Doubt was up next so I sang 'Sunday Morning' which I haven't done in a while.  Rian decided on Carrie Underwood next and I thought I might try 'Last Name' since it would be a new song for me and I kind of knew it.  I quickly listened to the first verse on Rian's phone and then lowered the song a full note since I thought it might be too high for me but that made it more confusing so after a verse and chorus I raised it back to the normal key and was able to finish up well.  That song can use some work so I'll have to learn that one before I sing it again.  Since that one wasn't my best I tried another new song with Marty in the background, doing 'Wicked Game' by Chris Isaak.  I love my low songs but this was really low so I sang it an octave higher but then when it came to the chorus I had to stay in the same key because there was no way I was hitting another octave.  The song was good but I'll need to find a better and more comfortable key to make the song awesome!  I closed out with Adele's version of 'To Make You Feel My Love' as I sang to Bulos and Marty, some of my S&S Favorites :)

I'm really excited to be sending out my new headshots that I took with Hillary from Irish Times!  She was awesome to work with and we had a blast shooting a bunch of different looks on a beautiful and sunny day in LA at her studio in Silverlake!  Check out Hillary's Headshot Photography and Photo's on her Website here: Campbell Darkroom LA Photographer

No comments:

Post a Comment