Sunday, April 15, 2012

Bold & Beautiful

I woke up this morning before my alarm clock even went off, so at 8:10 am I was pouring my cereal, heating up my curling iron, and getting dressed to play a 'Soap Star'.  The Soap Opera workshop for 'The Bold and the Beautiful' was at The Complex Theater in Hollywood, and started at 10 am, but I wanted to give myself 45 minutes to get there, and be at least 15 minutes early, so by 9 am, I was out the door!  As I drove to the Workshop I recited my lines in the car, and listened to some Sara Bareilles to keep my emotions at the surface for the scene.  I had also grabbed my iPod and had it set up in case I needed to hear something before I went up for my scene.  

Sarah from the Casting Department at B&B was very energetic and smiley and excited to answer our questions.  She was really informative as to how they cast for the roles on the show, and what they're looking for on our resumes.  She also gave some great feedback about certain teachers and classes that are really beneficial.  After the Q&A we got started with our scenes.  A couple of the guys in our class did the same scene as me, but no other girls did, so I was glad, that no one would be compared to what I did or vice versa.  The reader was another actor, that worked for Industry LA, so it was nice reading with someone that gave you some emotion and a good reading!  I started my scene, and a couple lines in, Sarah stopped me, and gave me a back story for the scene, and told me, Steffy was really mean to Liam, and even though they were married, she had put him through the ringer, and now that they're going through a divorce, she's still playful with him, but she understands how they've fallen apart, even though she still has feelings for him.  It definitely took the scene a different way, but that was good, because then she could see that I would take direction.  After we did the scene once through, we made a couple more tweaks and did it again, she said I did a great job, and had great emotion, without taking it over the edge.  It was so nice to get feedback from her, and really work on the scene, that's what these Workshops are for.  When the Workshop was over, I thanked Sarah and I asked her about my Theatrical headshot and for a role like Steffy, would she prefer something more serious, she said she liked my Theatrical more than my Commercial, so she kept both, and I was happy :)

After my Workshop was done I drove just down the street to my Audition for the Feature Film.  There were a few people in the room when I got there, and they had a lot of assistants helping people, signing us in, getting sides, etc.  They had two separate rooms for the auditions, because when I had spoke to the CD yesterday, he said it was a huge call of almost 400 people.  They were casting 2 main characters, and I was going in for a Supporting role.  When I got the sides, I was told to do a Proper Southern accent, so I was thankful for my Dialects class in College, and went into a corner and just read through the scene a few times.  After a couple minutes, I was called into the room, and they asked me if I was like The Bionic Woman in any way, since I had the same name as Lindsay Wagner.  I told them I had a 6th sense at times, and could see things; I recalled a dream I had earlier this week, where I think it was me, auditioning and it went terribly!  I told them the Workshop I had just been at went well, so I was hoping this wasn't the audition and everyone laughed.  After getting some direction and more back story that I was the Mistress of General Grant (before he was President Grant), that I was an over-achiever, and very sexy, we got into the reading.  We did the scene once through, and the CD loved it, said my accent was perfect, and asked if I would be available for a call-back!  I said of course, and the woman reading with me joked and said, guess it wasn't you in your dream, and smiled.

On the way I home, I grabbed some Yogurtland as a little treat to myself, and was so happy to have had 2 great auditions today!  Keep them coming :)

1 comment:

  1. Great blog, Lyndsy! You offer great insight into the struggles, hard work, skill and talent a person needs to be successful in acting. Transforming into a character and being believable to the point where it becomes engaging and entertaining for the audience must take years of practice! Congratulations on your success today, I hope there is more to follow.

    ReplyDelete